Vol. 1: Seventeen

+ LOVING ELIJAH MCCAY +
VOL. 1: CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

     I sit quietly in Elijah's car, with my cellphone wildly buzzing from the inside of my back pocket

     I sit quietly in Elijah's car, with my cellphone wildly buzzing from the inside of my back pocket. I knew it was probably my father, considering he'd always call and make sure Rick was driving me home. This time, he wasn't. But there was absolutely no way I would ever tell my father that.

Or my mother.

     I'd begun to get used to Elijah's car. Only days ago, whenever I'd sit still in the passenger seat, and watch as his hands worked firmly at the steering wheel. My heart would pound in my chest, due to his familiar scent swarming through the vents, as I'd wish that his heartbeat was irregular too.

     But now, I felt comfortable—safe. Like nothing could hurt me. Like nobody could hurt me. Not emotionally nor physically. Although, I wouldn't quite expect anyone to attack me physically in the presence of Elijah.

     My eyes took in the surroundings that stood just outside of Elijah's car. The movements became slower, as the car finally halted to a stop, due to a red light. My neck strained from staring. And I never meant to make him uncomfortable--with my staring and all. 

     But I couldn't help it. 

     Elijah had always been something so far away. Someone I knew I could never have , let alone brew a friendship with. But now, I seemed to be spending every other day with him. The child inside of me was screaming due to our newfound proximity. 

     But the sixteen-year-old me kept my cool, and only turned away from Elijah, and taking minimalistic breaths--easing myself. 

     In the corner of my eye, I could see Elijah turn toward me, an uncertain sort of look etched across his striking features. I finally take a look at what he could be staring at, searching far outside of the passenger side's window, and past my head for anything that could've spiked his interest. 

     But I'm left confused when I see that there's nothing there. 

     I clear my throat, tucking a loose curl behind my ear, and fiddling with my fingertips. "So, uh--thanks for giving me a ride home, by the way. Rick left early and I was kind of stranded."

     He and I both know that isn't true, considering my house is within walking distance from the school, and my mother isn't working today. 

     But still, he nods welcomingly, the light ahead of us turning green. "You're good."

     The drive is quick, considering neither of us speak for the rest of it. But the silence is comfortable. And nothing at all like the silence would be between Terrance and I. 

     Elijah pulls into my driveway with a sudden stop, hand reaching for the unlock button, just like the previous day we'd hung out. Like he wanted nothing more than for our time together to be over. The thought is embarrassing. Especially since whenever I'm with him, he is all that I can think about. And everything about that stupid, little crush resurfaces.