Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD)

Sports scientists have reported that there are critical periods in the life of a young person in which the effects of training can be maximised. They have also concluded that it can take anything from eight to twelve years of training for a talented athlete to achieve elite status. This has led to the development of athletic models, which identify appropriate training aims at each stage of the athlete's physical development.

Athletic model indicators

Research has shown that that chronological age is not a good indicator on which to base athletic development models for athletes between the ages of 10 to 16 as within this age group there is a wide variation in the physical, cognitive and emotional development.

One practical solution is to use the onset of Peak Height Velocity (PHV), which is influenced by genetics and environmental factors (climate, cultural & social), as a reference point for the design of training programs.

PVH is the point in a child's development when they reach their maximum growth rate. The average age for reaching PVH is 12 for girls and 14 for boys. Peak weight velocity normally follows shortly after PVH.

Following PVH Vo2max and strength increase significantly as a result of growth. Most girls experience their first menstrual cycle approximately one year after PVH.

Using simple measurements (standing height & sitting height) PHV can be monitored and appropriate training can be set to match the athlete's development.

Model for LTAD

Sports can be classified as early specialization (e.g. gymnastics) or late specialization (e.g. Track and Field, Team sports). Early specialization sports require a four phase model while a late specialization model requires six phases.

Early Specialization Model

Late Specialization Model

Training to train

Training to compete

Training to win

Retirement & retainment

FUNdamental

Learning to train

Training to train

Training to compete

Training to win

Retirement & retainment

Late Specialization Model

Phase 1 - FUNdamentals

This phase is appropriate for boys aged 6 to 9 and girls aged 5 to 8. The main objective should be the overall development of the athlete’s physical capacities and fundamental movement skills. The key points of this phase are:

Participation in as many sports as possible

Speed, power and endurance are developed using FUN games

Appropriate and correct running, jumping and throwing techniques are taught using the ABC's of athletics

Introduction to the simple rules and ethics of sports

Strength training with exercises which use the child’s own body weight; medicine ball and Swiss ball exercises

Training programs, based on the school year, are structured and monitored but not periodised

Develop the athlete's:

ABC's (Agility, Balance, Coordination and Speed)

RJT (Running, Jumping, Throwing)