28 • phone calls

I slowly get out of bed and slip on my work uniform.
Right as I get dressed my door opens.
Calum comes in and sits on my bed, looking at me looking in the mirror.
"Morning to you too" I say putting my hair up.
"Lillian what's going on?" He asks bluntly.

"What do you mean?" I ask grabbing a bobby pin.
"You've completely ignored me. I ate you out two week ago, and now you don't know me."
I blush at his works and slowly turn around.
"You know how Luke feels about us"
"And you're going to listen to what he says?"
I roll my eyes.
"He's my brother, Calum."
"Brother who's a hypocrite" he mumbles running his hand through his curls.

I sigh. "I know."
"How can you listen to him not wanting us to date when he's talking to your best friend?" He asks.
"He was drunk. It was one night" I say finishing putting my hair up.
"Lillian... I've seen him texting her. And you haven't noticed that he's been 'running errands' more?"
I shake my head. "I believe him. He promised. I'm sorry Cal"
"Fine." He says putting his hands up and he goes out the door but stops and looks back. "He's going to hurt you. And when he does remember that I warned you" and walked out.

Luke wouldn't do that. I know so. We made a deal. I get that Calum is upset, but my relationship with my brother is more important than other relationships right now.

I leave my room soon after Calum and head downstairs.
"You ready?" Ashton asks, sitting at the kitchen island. All the boys sitting around in their uniforms too.
I nod.

The day goes by slow. I take a few tables but it's a pretty slow day.
Suddenly the door opens and I look up to see several news casters, some holding microphones some with cameras. "Does anyone know where we can find Ms. Liz Hemmings?" One lady in the group asked.
"What for?" Luke asks sternly.
Ms. Liz comes around the corner.
"Luke, love, can you put the-"
"Are you Ms. Liz Hemmings?" The same lady cuts her off.
She nods "yes I am"
"And you must be Luke. Hi I'm Martha Edwards with Channel 5 News. We'd love to interview you and your family about the amazing story of you finding your daughter"

No fucking way.

This is exactly what I didn't want to happen.
I stand in shock.
Luke shoots me a worried look.
"That won't be necessary nor permitted here. Have a good day." Liz says sternly and turns to walk away.

The lady turns to me.
"And you're Lillian" she smiles looking at my name tag. "It's so amazing, isn't it? You all three at the same restaurant? How do you feel about finding your new family?" She asks throwing a microphone in my face.

Luke comes over and stands beside me.
"You're recording is not welcome here and we asked you to leave." He says with a tad bit of anger in his voice pointing to the door.
"Do you resent your mother for switching you?" She asks throwing another microphone in my face as The other boys jump in "stay away from her" Ashton says stern as they all push them out. I stand for a moment and run to the back room.

"Hey" Luke says softly. I look up to see Luke in the doorframe.
He slowly come and sits on the crate beside the one I am sitting on back in the back room.
"I'm sorry about them-"
"This is why I didn't want anyone to know" I whisper.
"I'm sorry" he says hugging me briefly.
"I know it's not your fault" I mumble before we return to work.

Finally it's the end of the day, we run our usual clean up routine.
Calum and I wipe tables at the front of the restaurant, Ashton sweeps, and Micheal and Luke get the tables in the back part of the restaurant.

"Where's Luke?" Michael asks looking around starting to sweep.
"I think he went in the back, he got a phone call or something" Ashton says.
"Why'd he go in the back? We're closed there's no one else in here and he's not on the clock" I ask.
Micheal shrugs, "beats me."

I stop and think about what Calum told me.
Could he be on the phone with Aubrey?
I look at Calum and he looks at me.
He looks back down and continues to wipe the tables.