The Little Seal

So this has nothing to due with One Direction at all, but Marisa posted this short story she wrote on her Tumblr and I wanted to share it because I don't even know why. I hope you don't think of me a jerk, like you thought it was going to be some sort of epilogue to Losing Liam, becuase it isn't, so sorry about that.

The Little Seal

Once upon a time, in a land too far away to say, there lived a seal. The seal lived all by his lonesome in a giant castle, but because he had never known the company of others the little seal didn’t mind it. He was small; with a spotted back. The little seal was missing a name; however, that was to be expected. The little seal didn’t know what a name was, and so he didn’t know that he was even missing it to begin with.

In the little seals castle he was only accompanied by one other living thing; it was a garden full of roses. But a rose could never talk, so the little seal could only have one sided conversations with the only other living thing in the castle. For anyone who had ever experienced the company of another this castle would have surely driven them mad; none-the-less, the poor little seal never had such an opportunity.

Years went by, and the little seal took care of his garden. Everything was fine and the little seal was happy to take care of his garden, but something disturbed the castle one day.

In the garden the little seal discovered the strangest of things; a little bird. But of course the little seal didn’t know that it was a little bird; thus, resulting in giving the little seal a fright. The little seal hide from the little bird behind his roses; hoping the sharp vines of the-only-other-living-thing-in-the-castle could protect him.

The little seal watched the bird and heard it call out for help. The little seal was astonished that the little bird could speak; the only sound he had ever heard before was his own voice, so in his awe the little seal helped the little bird.

The little bird, how had been grateful to the seal for help him, taught the little seal many things as he healed. He taught the little seal about names, and even gave the little seal name which coincidentally was Little Seal. And he learned about other living things, people, and food, and the little seal came to learn the joy of having a friend.

But, that happiness could not stay forever; further, Little Bird had to go back to something called a family. For the first time Little Seal felt sadness, not wanting his first friend to leave him, but Little Bird promised to return.

So Little Seal went back to his old life, and that included taking care of his garden. But with Little Bird gone it was not enough; Little Seal had learned of company and the joy it brought. He found himself now missing Little Bird. He was in his giant castle, which had never felt empty before, and it felt vacant.

Little Bird, who had been Little Seal’s first friend, never came back. It left the little seal, who could have lived happily forever in his giant castle ignorant, dying alone of betrayal. Yet despite dying alone and betrayed the little seal never once found himself wishing he had never met Little Bird because he knew that if they had never met he would have never been able to feel that joy and would have lived eternally with the roses.

As Little Seal died betrayed with a name; he still found himself happier than if he had lived forever nameless.