Chapter 14: Home?

"Mrs. Fexon, your final tests came back good. I've already told them to prepare your papers for your discharge." the head doctor said.

"Thank you, doctor. So, everything is fine with my wife?" Dustin asked.

"Yes, but I recommend taking it easy for at least a week."

"I'll make sure of it myself." Dustin replied.

"Dustin!" Cassandra exclaimed. 

"What? I know very well that you'd return to your work without resting if I let you."

"Well, then, I'll go now. Have a good day!" 

The doctor exited the room leaving the couple alone. Cassandra's parents were due to come in about an hour. Her brother had to deal with a couple of things at the club and couldn't visit his sister. Dustin had to convince Cassandra to return to their house without being suspicious. That way if her family had changed their mind and wanted to take her with them, it'd be difficult to explain it to Cassandra. 

"What now, husband?" Cassandra asked teasingly. 

"I'll take care of the paperwork and then we'll go home." Dustin replied.

"Home? I don't remember it." she said gloomily.

"It's alright. Don't stress yourself. You'll remember everything in due time."

"I don't know. Everything seems new to me. We're married for three years and yet you're a stranger to me. Why did I forget you? Why did I forget those four years? Why not any other year or my entire life? Why?" 

"I can't answer you that. Nobody knows how the human mind works. I'm just happy that you're well after the accident."

"The doctor said my heart stopped a couple of times."

"Yes. I was so scared that I lost you." Dustin said.

Dustin wasn't ready to relive those moments. It was a nightmare. Every time the doctor went out of the ICU, he was scared of bad news. Scared that she would die. 

"Well, I'm okay now. See?" Cassandra tried to lift his mood.

"I'm not going to let you out of my sight from now on." 

"Dustin! You can't be with me all the time. You have work."

"I took some time off. For the next two weeks, I'll stay with you." 

When Cassandra's condition stabilized, Dustin contacted Jace and put him in charge of the company for as long as it was necessary. He was to contact him only in emergencies. Jace was responsible for everything else.

"Are you sure? Something tells me that you hardly take time off work." Cassandra asked teasingly. 

"You are the exception. I always made sure to have time for you." Dustin replied.

Really now? That's a lie and you know it. his conscience snickered.

That was in the past. Things would be different from now on. He was going to take care of his wife. She would be his priority. This was a new beginning for both of them. 

"We are in love, right?" Cassandra asked after a while.

"Yes even if you don't feel that way now." 

"The doctor said that feelings may come back after I get used to my surroundings." 

"It'll probably help you if you start living in our house. They say that familiar places can bring back memories."