Chapter 2

Tom made his way down one of many stately hallways in the Monteraynian royal castle, ornamented by paintings, carvings, and a few mosaics, all created by the kingdom's finest artists and craftsmen. The knight found himself slowing his pace many times to gawk in admiration at their work. He particularly paused long over a portrait of his grandfather Alden Holt many years younger, with a full head of blond hair and two striking sky blue eyes. 

He once had two eyes. Tom mused, What a concept. And so did I once. 

With a sigh, he continued on his way, his well-kept longsword swinging at his hip. The weapon's mahogany handle would have been pretty enough without any ornamentation, but a ring of silver around the middle and a pommel of the same material, bearing the seal of Monterayne, beautified it still further. The sword had served Tom well thus far, blade only sporting two noticeable nicks despite the many clashes it had endured. 

Tom finally reached the door to one of the castle's four celebration halls, large chambers easily furnished and rearranged to house the various events the royal family hosted there. After straightening his uniform one last time and running a hand through his hair, he wrapped his fingers around the doorknob. 

A wave of voices washed over Tom once he opened the door a crack, all the individual voices within blending into one collective rumble. And once he pulled it open fully, he surveyed the interior with pleasure. A pair of massive mosaics stretched across the roof, filtering sunlight from above and sending it down in colored patches. The grand chandelier hanging in between them hadn't been lit, as the natural light proved sufficient. 

The attire of the partiers was hardly any less colorful than the mosaics above them, flaunting hues of scarlet, violet, indigo, and many others, all in well-fitted suits for the men and flowing gowns for the women. Tom's eye lingered on one particular blonde whose silky dress tapered perfectly with the contours of her body, but still without losing all concept of modesty. 

A U-shaped procession of tables lined three of the brick walls, brimming with delicacies so abundant and hearty Tom could hardly imagine leaving with the same physique he'd arrived with. Various steaming soups gave way to gravy-drizzled meats and bread, finally transitioning into delightful desserts, a towering cake of many layers serving as the period on the culinary sentence. Where does one even begin? 

Tom answered his own question by peering into the midst of the crowd until he spotted Princess Kate, who wore her long brown hair in an intricate braid and found herself absolutely surrounded by nobles and knights offering gestures of respect and affection in equal measure. Tom threaded through the crowd to reach her, and by the time he drew close, most of her satellites had veered off for one reason or another. 

Tom bent down on one knee before Princess Kate, finding himself just below her eye level when he did so. He grinned and extended his arms to present the wooden box to her. 

"I wish you a very happy birthday, your highness, and many more hereafter." he said, looking into the young lady's stunning green eyes. 

"Thank you, Sir Holt." the princess replied kindly, "And what is this you have brought me?" 

"What else, but a gift?" Tom asked, a mirthful smirk on his lips. "Please, open it." 

Kate took the box from his hands, quirking an eyebrow as she did so. After undoing the latches, she flipped it open, and upon viewing the jewelry inside, she gasped. She put a hand to her mouth, eyes sparkling. 

"It's lovely! Thank you!" Kate said as she put the necklace on. And as Tom had thought, the grey gem accentuated her already vibrant green irises all the more.