Dancing With Angels Chapter 15

***Mark's POV***

My father and I walked for a long time, my mother had remained behind to guard Jason; they had stopped all my questioning the moment it began. Now we were deep within the forest, I couldn't even hear any animals anymore; which made little sense since it was so beautiful and lush. I had a feeling that my father was doing it somehow; although he simply looked to be walking before me. Finally he stopped and turned in a full circle, slowly he nodded and then leaned against a tree; I was surprised by the sadness in his eyes.

"Can you make Jason immortal too?" My father closed his eyes tightly for a moment; when he opened them again I could see unshed tears.

"No, and I can't make you mortal, no one can; it's too late for that now." All I could do was stare at him; there had to be something I could do to keep Jason alive, or join him the moment he ceased to live.

"That doesn't make any sense Dad, Kevin died; and you saved the witches, why can't you split my life force with Jason; or tie his to mine or mine to his?" For a long time it felt like he simply stared at me; slowly he turned his back to me as he shook his head.

"Kevin died because he chose too, before he could transcend; you've already crossed that threshold Mark, the moment you went to Jason you changed forever." I remembered that moment; the first time I felt him reach out to me, it was almost like he was calling me; I could feel his fear and sadness it coursed through me like a raging river. All I knew was that I had to get to him, that there wasn't anything I wasn't willing to give just to be near him again. I didn't remember much else but light coming from every direction and then there was a crash and he was standing before me in nothing more than a pair of cut off shorts.

"We were prepared to give you the same choice we gave Kevin; no matter how much it pained us to do so, we didn't want to force eternity upon you. Well I was prepared; your mother not so much, but you changed before you were supposed to, you changed out of desperation to save Jason." I could only nod as I leaned against a tree, now I was stuck on this world for the rest of time; and at some point I would lose him.

"So you're telling me that no matter what I'm going to lose him; that there's nothing that can be done to save him?" My father looked to the ground for a moment, when he looked back up I could see the war being waged within his mind.

"We could with his permission extend his life, but that wouldn't change the fact that he is mortal; he will always be able to die and nothing can change that." At least there was hope and that's all I really sought to begin with; still it didn't ease the tension I felt in my heart.

"Are there others like us?" My father nodded once again, the mere thought of that sent chills down my spine; how many I wondered?

"As far as I know their all still sleeping; as they have been for millions of years now, your mother and I always found ourselves waking from time to time to see how much had changed. We've only been awake for a little over a thousand years this time around, and most of that time was spent learning how to shift into a human. Who knows maybe the others have awoken while we slept; there's really no telling; we're not connected like that." I only had more questions as he explained part of our history to me; I wondered why the human race captivated them so much when so many other creatures existed.

"What did you do with the treaty; you did save the witches didn't you?" Once again he nodded his eyes focused and clear; I could see the how much it angered him that they had been bound to begin with.

"Our words were meant to help the world recover from the meteor; we drew on our own life forces to do so; they found a way to twist it in a very evil way. They act like they brought peace and balance where that was never really the case, all they really did was try to control all those they felt were below them. I sealed in the exchange of life force making sure they couldn't kill countless innocent children; which is what even they are to us." He almost sounded like an angry father; but I knew he couldn't have had anything to do with their creation; but maybe it was just the crime he felt they committed.