Dancing With Angels Chapter 4

***Cassie's POV***

The first time I had met Jason was in the third grade, it was recess and there was a group of kids gathered near one of the walls. I remembered sliding through the group to its center, what I saw made my breath catch in my throat; a statue had come to life and was fighting a group of boys. At least that was my first thought, even then Jason moved gracefully which made the sight all the harder to grasp. No one cheered everyone simply watched in horror, well almost everyone because I was completely captivated by the statue.

Then one of the boys finally landed a punch, Jason's head twisted to the side and blood splattered to the ground. Suddenly arms surrounded Jason and he was restrained as the other boys punched and kicked him, though it didn't last long. I charged at them screaming as loudly as I could, they turned in surprise as I leapt onto the boy closest to me. Granted I mostly just smacked him, still he was crying by the time I was done, I was about to attack another when the teacher sounded the whistle. Everyone but Jason and I ran away, I stood staring at him the blood dripping down his chin from his lip, the scrapes and bruises covering his angelic face.

I held my hand out offering him a napkin I had been holding onto, he stared at it for a while before finally taking it. He sniffed it twice before holding it up against his lip; his eyes were just starting to harden at that age. The pain in his eyes shook me to my core, to this day I still remember that feeling it was like my very soul had cried out. I swallowed and took a step toward him, with my hand extended I took another step but he retreated quickly pressing his back against the wall.

"I don't want to hurt you." He grunted, as if something I had said was ludicrous, still I couldn't leave him there, it felt wrong to abandon him.

"My name is Cassie." This time I stood in my place and held my hand out, slowly Jason stepped toward me keeping his eyes locked on my own.

"I'm Jason." His voice was soft and innocent sounding; it was then that I decided that Jason wasn't a statue, he was an angel.

"Want to be friends?" He nodded slowly, and finally took my hand; his eyes didn't look so filled with pain anymore, we walked hand in hand back into school.

From that day on we were friends, years seemed to fly by and before I knew it I was head over heels in love with Jason. We were the outcast at school, though Jason wasn't the victim any more, now he was the beast of Moonridge High. It took a long time for me to act on my feelings for Jason, then I had tried to kiss him and he had evaded me quickly, asking what I was doing. I remembered swallowing hard and trying to approach him again, there was fear in his eyes; it was something I had never seen before. Still I pressed forward with caution, moving slow so not to make him react in a negative manner.

"Please, don't do this Cass." I was only inches away from his lips; I looked up into his eyes they were burning with an intensity I wasn't used too.

"It's the next step Jase; we're perfect for each other. You understand me, inside and out you know what I'm thinking before I even say it. I love you, I've always loved you Jason and I know you love me too, I see it your eyes." He closed his eyes, and when he opened them I saw the pain that I hadn't seen in years, once again it shook me.

"I love you, I do but I can't be with you like you want, I'm gay Cass." The words carried with them the force to shatter all my hopes and dreams in one swift motion, yet the look in his eyes caught me and held me tightly.

"Are you sure?" I knew it was stupid to ask, but it just didn't make sense to me at all I had never once suspected he was gay.

"Yeah, I've been sure for a while now." Nodding was the only reply I trusted enough to give him, I could still see the fear as he closed the distance between us.