two

Beth
I wish she would just talk to me. We revisited the idea of having another baby, but since then she hasn't really spoken to me about it or anything that actually mattered. I was lucky enough to get her input on Everly's party. I tried everything to get her to talk to me, everything short of physically forcing her to.

I felt the sadness in my heart growing with each passing minute, but I couldn't dare show it, because today is all about Everly.

As the night grew near, guests began showing up, and music boomed in our backyard.

To avoid any noise complaints, we invited each neighboring household, and included a few pairs of ear plugs for those who chose not to come.

I set out the final tray of food and looked to the dance floor to see my baby dancing with her friends. My heart instantly grew to ten times its natural size just watching her prance around, completely carefree. Oh, to be sixteen again.

Olivia was mingling with Anna and Chance, so I decided to go talk to Rosalie.

"You both look so beautiful today, but Everly steals the show. She is absolutely breathtaking." Rosalie set her hand on my arm as I sat next to her.

"Oh, believe me, I know. That child is more beautiful than I could ever dream of being." I laughed.

"What's been going on?" She asked.

"What do you mean?" I scrunched my eyebrows.

"Well, I know it's been some years now, what? Like near twelve? And I've been around for half of them— and in all that time I have never seen you and Liv stay apart from each other for longer than you have to. Yet, you're here and she's there." Rosalie pointed out.

I took a deep breath and looked to Olivia.

"I just don't know what to do, Rose. She won't talk to me anymore. We talked about having another baby a couple of months ago and since then, she's been absent. Not in front of Everly, of course, but still." I explained.

"Have you told her that it upsets you?" She asked.

"I've done everything except yell at her or force her to listen." I sounded desperate.

"That's so unlike her." Rosalie thought out loud.

"Do you think— do you think maybe she's hiding something?" I asked, fear evident in my voice.

"I don't think she's hiding anything that would be disloyal. I don't think she'd do anything to break the family apart." Rosalie rubbed my arm.

I nodded, trying to accept the words she told me.
"Heads up. Little coming in hot." She whispered to me.

I sucked up my emotions and smiled to my beautiful daughter who was walking towards me.

"Mommy, may I please have this dance?" She giggled, holding her hand out to me.

I placed my hand over my chest and nodded.

I grabbed her hand, stood, told Rosalie that I'd be right back, then allowed Everly to guide me to the dance floor.

The chords to 'You Are My Sunshine' started to play, instantly bringing tears to my eyes. I pulled Everly to me tightly. This was the song I used to sing to her when she was little.

"I love you, mom." She told me.

"I love you more than you will ever, ever, ever know." I kissed her head firmly.

"I know I don't always say it, but thank you. I am so grateful for the life you and mama made for me. I am so grateful to be in a good school and in this home." She pulled away and started to ramble.