Chapter 4) Teen vs. Aunt

*picture on top is Alex Tanner. Okay, enjoy :)
**************************************

Darnell wasn't sure why the HUMAN was such a bad draw. He didn't really understand the rules of the game, but the sobs from Aunt Lupille made it clear that she might be losing all her money.

"Damn it, this is so embarrassing. Now where am I going to find a human piece?" said Aunt Lupille.

"Why do you need a human piece?" asked Darnell. There was no clue to what all these draws meant, but if Aunt Lupille needed a human piece for landing on a HUMAN draw, then did you need a vampire piece for landing on a VAMPIRE draw?

"I need a human piece because I landed on the HUMAN."

"And what do you use a human piece for?"

"To use in the most important part of the game,'' said Aunt Lupille. Darnell was still confused, but he knew why.

"What exactly is a human piece?" asked Darnell passively.

"It is an actual human who will take part in a survival game against all other pieces," said Aunt Lupille. "All other pieces are literally what you saw on the spinner, actual creatures.''

Half shocked and half amazed, Darnell didn't really know what to think about this preposterous idea for a game. How the hell was he supposed to believe it? So now for the next part of the game they needed to find a human to beat a dragon and eighteen other make-believe creatures? Who would they possibly find to do such a thing?

"I thought you wanted to keep this a secret because this was all illegal gambling," continued Darnell. "I didn't think this game was this out-of-whack like some sort of video game."

"I thought you believed in anything because you knew about my rain magic."

Darnell let out a deep breath. "Your rain magic is understandable because that is the only thing I've ever seen, so I grew used to it," said Darnell. "But this, pretty hard to swallow."

Everybody on the table started to stand up and chatter after the assignment of pieces. From the other side of the table, Alex, Aunt Lupille's past partner, made an effort to come over. He looked elegant with sleeked black hair pulled back. A young fellow.

"It looks like we both hit a brick wall this year," said Alex. He had gotten the smith piece, and Darnell wondered what the hell that was.

Aunt Lupille gave a slight smile back. "I guess we did, although I would have rather gotten the smith since I got some good ones in mind."

"Oh really, I'm still debating on mine," said Alex, noticing Darnell. "Who is he, your new partner?"

"Yes he is, your replacement for this year,'' said Aunt Lupille with her hand on Darnell's thick dark hair.

"Well, it seems like you are as strong as ever." said Alex, relieved that Aunt Lupille was straightforward.

"Yes I am, and we will have luck on our side no matter what piece we get," answered Aunt Lupille confidently.

Alex's eyes sparkled. "So how are you going to get a human?" asked Alex, almost laughing.

"By force I guess," shrugged Aunt Lupille.

At the sound of those words, Darnell's heart started to boil. Force someone? This game was crazy, but the sound of his own aunt uttering those words was even more depressing. How could you force someone against their will to do anything? This wasn't the sound of an aunt he knew.

''What do you mean by force?" asked Darnell with anger. " You want to make someone play this insane game of yours? "

"Nobody would believe this game, look at you. And besides, I'll help from the sidelines-"