16

WE SWAY and duck through the swarm of raving bodies once again, and for the millionth time since arriving here, I feel sick. Finally we erupt through closed doors, desperate for a relief from this inescapable horror. The hoard of mass destruction ignores our escape as we shut the heavy wooden door behind us, falling against it for support. ʻʻThis is why I never visit Niall,ʼʼ Harry gasps, stumbling up to stand straighter.

ʻʻThis is why I should never visit anyplace with you,ʼʼ I redirect, earning a very dramatic eye roll and a stifled laugh.

ʻʻHARRY!ʼʼ A man abruptly jumps out from behind a satin curtain, scaring us both nearly to death. Our hearts pound rapidly as we both connect hard stares at the blonde-haired boy, awaiting his next statement. He opens his mouths and utters out, ʻʻ...youʼre...back...ʼʼ

We release the breaths kept behind our lips, as I straighten out my posture. ʻʻYeah, hey.ʼʼ Harry smiles and steps forward to embrace the odd, little man.

ʻʻHow long has it been? Your hair looks fabulous by the way.ʼʼ The Irish man ruffles a hand through Harryʼs dark curls, giggling like a school girl. Then it hits me: heʼs drunk. He must be to act this way.

ʻʻAbout...ʼʼ Curly-Head checks his watch. ʻʻ...seventeen minutes.ʼʼ

ʻʻWow.ʼʼ The blondeNiall, I supposelamely remarks, sniffing in. ʻʻOH!ʼʼ He shouts. We both jump frightened, while he scratches his arm. ʻʻYou brought a guest...ʼʼ He observes, as we slightly calm. I need to remember to be constantly on my toes around this guy.

I hold my hand out to him. ʻʻYeah, I'mʼʼ Without warning, he slowly, tenderly wraps his arms about my shoulders, urging me into a very awkward hug. ʻʻOh, okay...ʼʼ I mumble and glance at Harry for guidance. He just shrugs, like there isnʼt anything he can do. I guess heʼs used to it. Niall rests his chin against my shoulder, very heavily breathing in through his nostrils. I grimace as his nose slowing nears my hair.

ʻʻMm, what shampoo do you use? Is that...ʼʼ He sniffs. ʻʻSandy beaches?ʼʼ

ʻʻI donʼt really remember.ʼʼ I tell him, taking this opportunity to catch a whiff myself. When I breathe in, the scary thing is that I canʼt smell any presence of alcohol on his breath. In this moment, I also trail my eyes in front of me, and placed very happily on the wall is a wooden, handmade sign stating: ʻʻThis is a alcohol-free zone!ʼʼ with a pink flamingo painted on it.

I groan as he finally releases his grip on me, rewarding me a very dazed smile. ʻʻSo, Harry. What is it you wanted to talk about?ʼʼ

ʻʻJust tell her about us, back in the good old days. I still think she has doubts about me, maybe if you backed up my story a little, it would clear her head.ʼʼ he replies, stuffing his hands into his pockets. I glance confused at him, as he gazes back at me with a small smirk.

ʻʻWELL! Harry and I were friends back at the asylum,ʼʼ Niall starts, slowly sinking down into a plush chair beside him. I stop him immediately.

ʻʻWait, wait. Asylum?ʼʼ I gawk, but he whips up his pointer finger, his nails painted pastel blue and purple.

ʻʻNo commentary until after, please?ʼʼ He exhaustedly requests, rolling his eyes. I bite my tongue and fold my arms over my chest.

ʻʻFine, sorry.ʼʼ I mutter and stare at my shoes.

ʻʻAnyways, back at the asylum, Harry was my only friend, and I his. He shared his...secret talent...with me, and we escaped together. Weʼʼ

ʻʻYou know about him?ʼʼ I exclaim, unable to restrain my comment. He snaps his head at me.

ʻʻOf course I do, stop freaking interrupting!ʼʼ He howls and waves his hands at me.

ʻʻSorry,ʼʼ I murmur and he continues.

ʻʻWe have been running ever since we came to America, itʼs nice he chose to stay here a while. The club has been nice enough to let me stay here while Harry stays in that gross cave. Caves have bugs. I hate bugs.ʼʼ

ʻʻWow, I didnʼt realize... Thereʼs so much backstory to this.ʼʼ I collapse into a chair beside Niall, threading my fingers into my ebony hair. I connect my eyes to him and ask, ʻʻWait...so, are you an..?ʼʼ

ʻʻAm I an Alter? Oh God no, Iʼm just crazy.ʼʼ Niall laughs loudly.

I chuckle and turn to meet Harryʼs eyes. ʻʻYou guys arenʼt killing anymore, right?ʼʼ

ʻʻOf course not. At least Iʼm not, anyways.ʼʼ The Irish boy clarifies, before his stare hits straight into Curly-headʼs eyes. ʻʻAre you?ʼʼ

ʻʻI know that I promised you I wouldnʼt, but...what if I have to?ʼʼ He asks me, but I donʼt even reward his question any amount of time to ponder my answer, because it is already on my lips before his inquiry is finished.

ʻʻNo, absolutely not.ʼʼ I reject instantly.

He frowns, though, arching his eyebrows at me. ʻʻBut that Seth guy...heʼs kind of...ʼʼ

ʻʻYou are not killing Seth!ʼʼ I erupt, hopeful the loud, pounding music outside the door will drown out my proclamation.

ʻʻWhat if he comes onto you? Then what?ʼʼ Harry defends.

ʻʻThen Iʼll handle it.ʼʼ Is my final answer, shutting Harry up. He glares at me for a pause, debating something in his head. I can tell a war is raging within him, it is evident in the frustration dancing inside his blazing forest eyes. Whatever jealousy or anger he is experiencing towards the boy I just met is completely irrational, and I will not have another person dead because of my involvement with them.

After the long silence exchanged between us Harry forcefully grips my wrist in his large hand and drags me from the room without warning, or even so much as a goodbye to Niall. Despite the circumstances, Iʼm glad to finally be departing from this noisy, obnoxious club.

In five minutes flat I am buckled into the passenger seat of Harryʼs car, staring dismally out the window. As he starts to pull away from the rock and roll destination, I spot Seth and his band hanging outside the location. His eyes quickly scan over mine before I am zoomed away in the white Ford automobile.

The mood of the car ride home is tense and almost despondent. I can feel the flame sparking inside of Harry, the flash of a thought, an urge. I have read enough novels to understand the way a psychopathʼs mind works, or at least how most of them work. If I bring Seth into my life he is an easy target for Harryʼs wrath.

When we reach my apartment building, I am forced from the car at a rapid pace. He practically commands me to leave him as he pulls outside the lobby door. I push open the car door and step outside into the rainy drizzle, tempted to slam it shut. I refrain, lightly setting the door into place before Harry roars off in an angered temper. I hope he doesnʼt do anything drastic to sooth his rage.

I hope Seth knows how to defend himself, if need be.

 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄
Lol this chapter kinda sucks sorry:/ I know it's short and lame but I just have awful writers block like idek.

So fact about ali: (omg I remembered this chapter)
* I can act, lol, like an actress. I want to be a movie writer and actress when I get older, because apparently im good at those things

Vote and comment please(: it is very encouraging.

ali.