nineteen.

- excuse my mistakes, love.

Southside Chicago, Illinois
Parkway Gardens
8:03 PM

Garrett Sincere Brewster | Gee III

2010

"Happy birthday to youuuuu!" Granny Rae started smiling, holding the lighted cake in front of me.

I was honestly feeling off, but I blew out the candles anyway. She must have seen the look on my face because she put down the cake and hugged me.

"What's wrong baby? It's your birthday." She asked resting my head on her chest. "It's just... I miss Mama. I know we saw her earlier today, but it's not the same spending my birthday without her." I frowned.

"I know love. I'm gonna be honest, it's only going to get harder as you get older. She has to do what she has to do. Don't worry though, you'll be able to spend a birthday with her one day. Patience, that's all."

I didn't reply because I didn't know how to. I just wanted to my mom, but hearing my granny say that made me feel a whole lot better.

"I'm sorry Jaylin and Monatae are in trouble with they bad asses. I know how much you wanted them to come." She said, rubbing my back.

"It's okay Granny. All I need is you anyway."

_____

2020

My vision started to get blurry as they lowered her casket. I wrapped my arm around Ma that was crying into my suit, and held on to Jordan's hand.

She rested her head on my shoulder as we continued to watch. This shit was hurting more than even right now. Everybody in Parkway Gardens was here for my granny.

That woman was sweetest you'll ever meet. The realest and that's on God.

"It's gonna get better Garrett." Jordan-Armani whispered low under all the sobs surrounding us. "It will."

The funeral ended after and folks were getting ready to head down to the reception hall to eat, so I headed to my Lincoln.

"Aye G, I'm riding with Moms." Chapo said as he walked in her direction. I kept walking over to my car with Jordan, Jiggy and Mula behind.

"Take care Gee III." I looked over at the group of O-Block niggas that was talking to me as we passed them and nodded.

We all got in and I started unloosing the tie around my neck. "Any updates Jig?" I asked, feeling Jordan glance at me from the passenger seat.

He picked up his computer from under my seat and opened it up. After pulling up the picture that he took from the security footage, he turned his laptop for us to see.

"Is that nigga wearing a Burlington jacket?" Mula squinted his eyes making me suck my teeth. "Nigga no. That's whole Givenchy."

"That hoe still ugly as hell."

"Cuh, who the fuck we know that be wearing Givenchy round here?" Jiggy asked, turning his computer back around.