A Promise Fulfilled

Chapter Eighteen: A Promise Fulfilled

"I hope you all enjoyed your trip to belle Paris, ville de l'amour.  We should be arriving in New York City in approximately seven hours. My name is Layla and I will be here to provide you with anything you need to make this flight a more comfortable experience. Thank you very much for choosing Air France and nous allons jeter un vol en toute sécurité."

Layla smiled at how easily the French words rolled off her tongue now as she slipped the microphone back into it’s proper place.

Her mind wandered to the last conversation she had had before she had boarded the plane.

“Are you settling in then azizam?”

“Yes Baba.”

“Are the Parisians nice to you little bird?”

Layla couldn’t help but chuckle as she recalled her father’s question. “Yes Baba, I have been to Paris before you know, the only difference is that I live here now.”

“I know, I know, allow a father to worry about his daughter without making him feel foolish azizam.” 

“Of course I don’t think you foolish Baba, I appreciate your concern. I have to go though, we are about to board the passengers.”

“I miss you little bird.”

“I miss you too Baba.”

The conversation had left Layla grinning and content. When she had finally revealed her move to her father, he had been sad and excited for her, just as she suspected he would be. Her mother on the other hand had regarded her with her usual lackluster response, despite the fact that Layla and her had been making headway in their conversations.

The sudden appearance of AJ at family events had broken down the relationship somewhat, Layla’s mother not withholding her obvious disapproval of the union between Hana and the light skinned Cuban. Layla knew Naima blamed her directly for the appearance of the ‘outsider’, but no one could deny the change that overtaken Hana since she had agreed to see him. Layla tried to visit whenever she had an overnight layover and the change in her already beautiful aunt was astounding. She had never seen her laugh and smile as much as Hana did now, her house even getting a very colorful makeover from the determined therapist. AJ respected Hana’s wish to proceed slowly, holding all couple related things till after marriage, a commitment AJ had shown Layla last time that he was intent on pursing.

“Holy crap A.J.! That rock is huge!” Layla had gasped when presented with a sneak peak of the engagement ring AJ had planned to present her aunt.

“Started saving all my nickels and dimes the moment I laid eyes on Hana.” AJ quipped as he stared proudly at the large diamond solitaire.

“Does she have any clue you have this?”

“Nope, and don’t you go ruining the surprise either grumpy! Hana has made it quite clear we are taking this at a slow pace, and I don’t want to be scaring her off yet.” He waggled his finger jokingly under Layla’s nose, earning a hearty laugh in return.

“I cross my heart. Just don’t wait too long, if that woman’s not ready now she will never be ready. Plus I know a little bit of a secret.”

AJ’s eyes widened as he scooted in closer to hear Layla’s next words. “What’s that?”

She cupped her hands as if to whisper quietly in the therapist’s ear, before pronouncing quite loudly. “I think she may be in love with you.”

“Really?”

Layla giggled as she recalled the goofy grin that had taken over AJ’s face after that statement. She knew from her daily conversations with her aunt that AJ had still not proposed to her, she was sure it would be the first thing Hana would have told her since a good portion of their talks revolved around her aunt’s budding relationship. She was as sure as she knew that AJ was walking around with that whopper of diamond in his pocket just waiting on the right time.