A Baptism

Chapter Eleven: A Baptism

Layla sat in the car chewing down the white on her last good nail, watching nervously while the crowd entered the church as the bells beckoned for mass.

“I’m not comfortable with this Hana.”

Hana leaned over and gently patted Layla’s leg. “I know, it wouldn’t be as fun to watch if you were.”

Layla shot her aunt a murderous look, but Hana was already halfway out of the car. “Come on Layla, cousin Lufti tends to be a drama queen whenever someone deters from his spotlight.”

Grumbling the only Farsi curse words she remembered, Layla exited the vehicle and followed Hana into the awaiting church, the normally somber room filled with chatter.  Layla’s uncle stood proudly at the front of the pews, awaiting the approach of the priest.

“How long is this expected to last?” Layla hissed, painfully aware of the fact that she had become somewhat of a sideshow.

“Have you forgotten what family you come from? Now stop hissing.”  Hana left Layla behind to pout as she made her way to the front of the church to greet Lufti.

Layla’s entrance had not gone unnoticed and she knew the hand-covered mouths from those that had looked her way were for her benefit. Some waved back at her while others just shook their heads and whispered to the person next to him. Layla caught sight of the back of her mother’s head, her hair always perfectly constructed as tight as can be, but her neck remained just as tight, not affording a glance towards her daughter.

Layla sighed and resigned herself to becoming a spectacle, offering an obnoxious smile to some of the less timid gazers. Hana returned to her side just as Layla had perfected her greeting.

“Why are you doing that ridiculous wave?” Hana grabbed for Layla’s quickly vibrating hand.

“I just want to make sure they get their money’s worth.” Layla continued with her right hand as Hana sighed.

“Try to remember we are at a baptism, not the Layla show.”  Hana released her niece’s hands and turned towards the front, ignoring Layla’s umpteenth glare as the priest began his descent to the front of the church.

The family stares had stopped and everyone turned their attention back to the front of the church as Layla reddened, cursing Hana’s observation as she resigned herself to sit still.

The ceremony ended with the usual family fan fare as Layla made a beeline to the car, hoping to avoid the meandering that was sure to occur. She stared from the behind the tinted windows, waiting for Hana to appear from the family crowds, watching as the congratulations were poured on Cousin Lufti and his beaming wife.

Finally she spotted her aunt, exiting the church with Layla’s mother close behind. Layla could tell by Hana’s face that the conversation was not a casual one. Her mother’s gaze narrowed at the quickly retreating Hana, grazing over to her car where Layla instinctively ducted out of view.

 “What are you doing Layla?” Hana stood in the doorframe, her mouth curled into a smirk as she watched her niece’s desperate attempts to shrink herself beneath the dashboard.

 “I saw you arguing with madar, I’m trying to hide so she doesn’t know I came.”

 “Yes, you are obviously invisible inside my car, how very clever of you. Oh!” Hana’s voice raised in mock surprise as she turned on the car. “You forgot to turn on the invisibility shield.”