Chapter 1: The begging to an end

As I look around me I realise that these aren't the type of people I grew up around. Shouting and screaming threats at each other like a pack of wild animals as pieces of scrap metal fly over each other like tiny aeroplanes.

I began to look around me searching for my mother but every corner I turned I was trapped in by police and soldiers with heavy guns. I began to feel claustrophobic even though we were outside.

All i could feel was the wind brushing up against my cheeks as I stood there freezing. The wind seemed to flood my ears with swooshing sounds slowly deafening me. The smell of burning petrol filled my lungs as clouds of dark smoke covered the sky.  How can these people be so cruel? Do they not see that they are harming innocent people like me? 

In the distance I saw an outline of a young ladys' corpse. MOTHER? I yelled out as I ran towards the body but I was quickly pushed back by two guards, tears began to trickle down my face, suddenly I felt a hand touch my shoulders, it was an old man "come with me" he said reaching out his hand. and quickly without thinking i grabbed a hold of his hand and began to follow him.

5 minutes later we reached a small hut with a slanted door and a small circular window on the front "you'll be safe in here" he said as he opened the door "where is my mother?" I asked in a worried voice "I'm sorry I don't know" he replies as he emerges from the kitchen handing me a cup of warm hot chocolate "here this will keep you warm" "thank you" I replied "come and sit over by the fireplace it'll warm you up" so I sat on this little wooden stump that was placed by the fire. "My name is Dale" he said "what's yours?" "m m my nn name is S Sarah" I said shivering "How long have you been out there?" he asked "f for about th three hours" I replied as I took another sip of my hot chocolate "sorry for asking but what happened to your parents?" "I don't know I was with my mum but then I looked away for one second and when I turned around she was gone" "how old are you?" he said with a friendly voice "I am 8 years old" I said.

Suddenly a huge rock smashes through the window landing in the fireplace as three police officers burst through the doors pointing their guns at dale I quickly duck down underneath the coffee table "Dispatch we found another one" said the police man into his walkie talkie as two police officers rushed towards dale dragged him out.

As I watch the third police officer walk through the door I slowly started to come out from underneath the coffee table. 

Why were they looking for him, what did he do?I saw the door had been left open and was now slamming against the door frame by the wind.  The small hut was now freezing I couldn't even feel my fingers. The police had taken every chance of survival away from me. I just wanted all of this to end. I wanted everything to go back to the way it was when all i had to worry about was what mum had made for dinner. oh how I wanted to see my mum again and give her the biggest hug but I know I couldn't. She was gone.

She had left me... forever, what am I going to do? So many questions but no answers just heartless people in a cold world. If it wasn't for dale who knows what could of happened to me. I needed to find him. I quickly ran outside and looked around for him but in the distance I saw a  a house so I quickly ran towards it and knocked on the door.

A woman came to the door looking me up and down "hurry com in or they'll see you" she said in a poking her head out of the door. So I quickly walked in, as the woman closed the door behind me. "Were you out there alone?" asked the old man who was sitting in a ripped lounge chair "no" I replied "I was with my mum I said as my eyes began to water "where is she?" he asked in a worried voice " I don't know. We got separated" I said trying not to cry "well don't worry we'll help you find her" said the woman who was looking out the window to see if anyone was outside.

"Would you like something to eat?" asked the woman as she headed towards the kitchen "we haven't got much" she said looking in to cupboards "yes please" I replied as I sat down at the dinner table. She began cooking a can of soup she found lying around.

as i watched the woman stirring the sound I could  hear a woman outside shouting "Sarah, Sarah where are you honey?" the woman quickly rushed over to the window "is that your mum?" asked the woman. I quickly shot up and walked towards the window and looked out "mum!" I shouted.

I quickly ran outside "mum! Is that you?" I said as I started to walk towards her "Sarah!" said my mum as she spread out her arm to hug me. As I ran towards her to hug her I heard a loud BANG! There I was lying on the ground my mind was spinning around all I could hear was my mum screaming "oh god Sarah!" with tears running down her face as she holds me in her arms. I thought to myself am I going to die? Will this be the end?

I could see the shadow of a man running away with a gun in his hand I knew I had been shot but who was he? And why did he shoot me? "somebody call an ambulance" she shouted . The woman ran out the shelter helping my mum carry me inside putting me on the sofa the old man walked over to the phone and called the ambulance.

The woman ran over to the bathroom opening the first aid cabnit and pulling out a pack of bandages. She quickly ran over to me and started applying the bandages I could still  feel my head getting lighter and few minutes later the ambulance had arrived. Two Paramedics had come in through the door and carried me out on a small bed and into the ambulance the paramedics and my mum hopped into the ambulance and drove off. 

As I lye there in the ambulance I knew I was safe, well at least for now. I could feel my head getting lighter and lighter until I finally pasted out.