A New Alpha

Minutes began to feel like hours in the back of the Unimog ambulance. Gray began to fiddle with a thread on his shirt while Jonny leaned his head on Zach's shoulder. "I don't like that we're just sitting ducks" The blue eyed teen sighed. "Let me try something" Gray whispered. The boy pulled the window door open ever so slightly so that Claire wasn't disturbed and they could spy on what was going on. "Better?" He asked Jonny. "Yeah, thanks".   
          They peeked over Claire's shoulder at a tablet with 4 camera angles. It looked like Owen was tearing it up through the jungle with the raptors, following a trail to where the Indominus Rex would be. The boys could see all four raptors following a hot trail, fiercely moving through the jungle. Their feet made a distinctive sound, thundering down a straight path. Another angle showed Owen on his Triumph Scrambler, the convoy following behind swiftly. "What's gonna happen when they find the Indominus?" Gray asked Zach. He didn't want to scare Gray, at least more than he already was. "I don't know. But it's probably not going to be pretty".
The nauseating pain in Jonny's stomach churned once more. Owen and his team located the Indominus and got into formation. The raptors fanned out to search for their prey, they looked to be communicating. Jonny was glancing intensely through the window. The Unimog was dead silent. "Okay no, you're not watching this. Keep the window closed" Claire demanded, shutting the window quickly.
          Anxiety was paved over Jonny and Gray's faces. Zach stared at the floor. "... that thing is part raptor.." echoed Owen's distorted voice through the front of the cab. Gray shot a look at Zach. "Engage!" yelled one of the ACU soldiers. Suddenly, the sound of gunfire ensued from the device sitting in Claire's hands behind the tiny window. Gray quickly slid the window open just an inch to have a visual. Not only did the raptors turn on Owen, Barry and the team, the  Indominus Rex was blown off its feet by a rocket launcher. "Oh my god" Claire gasped. The trees went up in flames, some came crashing down by the impact. The injured Indominus howled.
             Zach noticed the instant shock in Gray's eyes. He pulled the window back a little more. A rain of gunfire went across the secluded area. It was hard to focus on one tile That showed footage. Raptors snuck up behind ACU soldiers, some sprung out of the long grass. Owen was trying to be as stealthy he could be, knowing the impending doom awaiting if he dare make a mistake. Zach noticed one soldier was getting dragged by a raptor. An angle showed Charlie looking up at Owen after her quick snack. Seconds later the screen went black. She was neutralized.
          Barry noticed he was in Blue's target sights and sprinted for a log. He dove for the opening and crawled quickly Inside. Blue pounced on top of the log, digging her snout into the slim crevasse to smell her prey. The man shrieked until Blue's efforts were distracted by a familiar sound. The sound of Owen's motorcycle. After a couple revs of the throttle, she was now focused on her trainer. Owen whistled and spun the Bike around. She started to pursue him back down the dark trail.

"Is everybody dead?" Asked Gray looking very concerned. Claire jumped at the sound of his voice, flipping the tablet over on her lap. "What?! N-N-No. Everyone is fine" She tried to reassure. "Don't lie to him" Zach interjected quickly. "He's scared!" She pointed out. "It's okay to lie when people are scared!". Jonny glared at her in dispair, then darted his eyes back towards the floor. "I wanna go home" Gray whined. A tear streamed down Claire's face. She was becoming more and more self aware of the situation, realizing the impact it will have on the future of Jurassic World. "Oh sweetheart you will" Claire said softly reaching a hand out towards her nephews hair to ruffle it. "Okay? You will, I promise. Tomorrow you will be home and... your mother will never let me see you again-".

A thudding sound on the Unimog's window made everyone's hearts jump into their throats.

Claire turned and let out a loud shriek. A bloody hand was pressed against the window. Zach shut the window quickly while Claire fiddled with the keys to start the truck. "Get out of here! Go!" Yelled the bloody ACU soldier. The Unimog's engine roared to life. The soldier opened the back doors of the truck in attempt to warn the boys of the danger. "They're coming!" He shouted until a velociraptor pounced on his shoulders, dragging him to the floor of the ambulance. She did not hesitate in ripping into his neck. Claire jammed her heel into the gas pedal, throwing the dangerous raptor and her newest victim into the ground. Escaping was their top priority now. Jonny grunted from the acceleration force, holding onto what he could. Zach used his arm to block Gray from being put in danger again.
The Unimog raced down the path. "Just hold on back there!" Yelled Claire, knocking on the window. "Not like we have a choice!" Jonny shouted back. The truck jerked again, followed by Claire's high pitched screaming. The boys felt a thud from the left side of the truck and could see the silhouette of a velociraptor slamming into the dirt road. The doors of the Unimog swayed open, as the raptor got back up and charged once more towards them. She had her eyes locked on target. Gray quickly looked at Zach for help. He needed a solution to the problem. Fast. Jonny stepped forward. "No!" Yelled Zach. He couldn't bare to see the love of his life be thrown in harms way again. "I got it just stay back!" Snapped Jonny. He grabbed one of the O2 Bottles.

Tap tap tap tap.

The raptor was getting closer. He rolled the first bottle off in hopes for it to get caught in its legs and blind it with the smoke. The hungry reptilian dodged it, shrieking in frustration. "Fuck! I missed. They're too heavy!" The boy exclaimed. The raptor ran up next to the Unimog instead. "Claire!" Zach panicked, hoping she would look in the rear view mirror. The truck swerved once more and railed it into the brushes. But just as one was taken out, another appeared. This one was moving even faster towards the back of the ambulance.

Tap tap tap tap tap.

The sound of the raptor coming closer was so distinctive. It was the sound of impending doom.
"Guys!" Wailed Gray, pointing at their attacker. He looked at the stun guns aligning the wall. "Hey try this!" He told Jonny. The teen lungre for the weapon. Zach was trying to keep himself stabilized on his feet. "How do I turn this thing on??" Jonny panicked.

Tap tap tap tap tap.

Zach got his footing under control and grabbed the other end of the stun gun. He scanned the weapon for anything that screamed something remotely close "On". Gray's anxiety heightened. "Turn it on!" The younger Mitchell exclaimed. "I don't know how!" Retaliated Zach. Jonny's patience was growing thin.
Jonny began to fiddle with the prod more and more, hands becoming sweatier by the millisecond. "Come on" he thought to his impatient self. Their attacker didn't hesitate to lung at them, chomping uncontrollably in hopes of snatching just one of them for a quick snack. Unexpectedly, electricity aparked between the ends of the prongs. "Now!" Jonny commanded. The duo zapped the Velociraptor's throat, sending it thudding down the jungle path. They both stepped back quickly to catch their balance once more.

"Are you Boys okay?!" Exclaimed a worried Claire from the drivers seat of the ambulance.

"Did you see that??" Zach asked, still in disbelief that he and Jonny managed to escape the wrath of a ruthless, brainwashed velociraptor.

"I can't wait to tell mom!" Said Gray propping himself up in the little window.

"Please! No!" Claire's heart shot into her throat. "Do Not tell your mother about that, ever."

Rumblings of a motorcycle engine could be heard not far behind the Unimog. Jonny's attention was captured so quick, followed by the Mitchell brothers. "Owen!!" The trio yelped. "Get ahead!" Shouted Jonny. The weight of the ambulance shifted to the side to let Owen catch up.

"I feel much safer now" Gray sighed, relieved. The older Mitchell threw one arm around him.

Owen signaled Claire to lower the window. "We need to get indoors. Follow me!" the man ordered, switching the gear of his bike.

"Thank God you found that button when you did" said Gray looking over at an exhausted Jonny. He was still catching his breath, tilting his head back against the wall.

"I almost thought we'd be Dino-Dinner" he panted. "I probably don't taste good though"

"I beg to differ" Zach mumbled trying to lighten the mood.

"Ewww" Gray groaned in the corner.

Jonny was speechless, rolling his eyes to the side.

         A smirk wiped over Zach's face as he rested his other hand on Jonny's leg. He knew it would bring him comfort. However, there is no such thing as comfort when the Indominus Rex is still at large.