Nine

Liam's POV

I grab my coat and put it on. Both my hands move around in the pockets searching for a key, but it's not in there. "We have to go NOW!" I shout at Niall in annoyance. He's still upstairs.

"Well I can't just stop this poo!" I hear him shout back.

Oh for fucks sake. "Push harder then!"

Niall screams something else at me but I can't make up his words. I can't believe this boy and his ridiculous timing.

I've had three missed calls from Harry this morning. What I gathered from his voicemails was that something happened to Louis. He couldn't tell me what it was, but the way Harry was crying his words, I expect it's nothing good.

I want to be with him right now and I want to know what's going on. I hate all this speculating.

In the very last voicemail Harry left, he told me that Zayn'd arrived by and that they're handling the situation -whatever the situation is- but he still wants us to come as soon as we can.

I can't believe I've missed Harry's calls.. I'm supposed to be there for him. I'm supposed to be his friend. I'm glad he's with Zayn -at least he's not alone- but I just wish I'd been there too.

"You're being too hard on yourself," Niall states as he peers at me from the top of the stairs. The sound of the toilet flushing still echoes through the house. "I recognise that look. What are you mulling over this time?"

"Oh thank God," I sigh, completely ignoring his question. "Get your ass in the car, Niall. We'll talk later,"

——

Once on the road, I finally take a deep breath. The car smells of hospital coffee and Nando's. My car freshener is not doing the job it's supposed to. It should smell like pine tree in here. Not Nando's. But then, how could my car smell any different when you've got a Niall in it?

"I thought Harry wasn't allowed back at the hospital?"

I shrug. "He wasn't. At least not while Louis is in surgery. Guess surgery is over,"

"Or did they call him back?"

"Could be,"

"He probably snuck back in," Niall grins, nodding now. "That must be it. Like the little frog he is,"

I grin and shake my head at the thought of frog-like-Harry. "Yea, probably,"

We pass the sign saying hospital is only a couple miles ahead.

Niall's quiet. His finger is raised to the window, drawing tiny somethings on the glass.

I lick my lips and feel the airconditioning blow over them. It would've have been such a good day to go to the beach together.

"Hey Liam?" Niall asks. "So say surgery is over and that's why Harry was allowed back.."

I hum a yes.

"And he called you to say that something's wrong with Louis. Right?"

Another hum from me.

"S-shouldn't we be way more worried than we are right now?"

I squeeze my eyes shut.

"Yes," I barely whisper. "I think we should be very worried. But I can't deal with that right now. Not until we're sure,"

"Right, right," Niall sighs quietly. "Better not to work ourselves up, yea?"

I can't say another thing. A hum is still the only sound that can make it over my tongue.