[6] The Taste of a Pistol

Canons were going off in my head, I was literally loaded to the gun wall. Or was I? Frowning I opened my bleary eyes and stared down with a watery vision at my poor arm wrapped up in a clean white linen cloth. Blimey! I must have been three sheets to the wind last night and started a fight, now where tha seven seas is Wright and why is the ship not moving? Are we docked? Confused I sat further up in the bed and gazed at the unfamiliar room around me. I was laid in a small wooden bed smelling of fresh herbs with a room scarce of furniture. A metal tub stood in the corner with a bucket, a rag and a bar of soap. Whilst against the opposite wall of the bed stood a small wooden table with two creaky chairs, some burned out candles on top and a jug of what I presumed water stood tantalizing just out of mah hands reach. Curse Larry, Killian, Georgy or whoever put me up in this room. Curse their mothers who birthed them. What did a man have to do to get some decent treatment from his mates? Damn, I was parched. Annoyed I climbed out of the bed, my muscles burning in protest. 

Trembling my hand reached for the jug resulting in me sloppily pouring the water over my face rather than in my mouth. At least I managed to catch some water to still my thirst. It wasn't until now that I realized I was wearing clothes not belonging to me. I was wearing a blue shirt made of silk with the sleeves cut off and black woolen breeches. What madman would cut up a blue silken shirt? The worth of this piece of cloth and in a royal colour! A chill ran down my spine and dumbfounded I stumbled over to the small green stained glass window. Desperate I stared out at the dirt road outside the inn I was locked up in. The sun was slowly rising in the east casting its warm glow on the buildings lining the dirt road leading to what appeared to be a small port. To the west, I was met by rolling green hills and grassland. 

"I'm alive," I whispered in awe. Tha fools! Them bloody fools! Grinning I quickly searched the room for shoes or any useful tools, coming up empty. "Never mind," I mumbled. "You've been in worse places old salt escaping an inn will be nothing." Determined I carefully walked over to the wooden door, this was the moment of truth. Was it locked? Carefully, slowly, gently I turned the metal doorknob. A thunderous click sounded and then silence. A smile as bright as the rising sun spread over my lips. Silent as a mouse I slipped out the door and closed it behind me. On guard, I glanced down the hallway. Not one silverfish in sight. Breathing a breath of relieve I quickly made my way down the stairs into the common room. 

Two young boys were sweeping the floor and cleaning up tables from the night before. Unnoticed I slipped past them and out on the dirt road heading west up the hills, I had to reach tha Hollow Green cave before they realised my disappearance. Considering the green stained glass windows, I was on Green Island most likely in Esrom. Though I had never been to Esrom I had been before to Cloru a small village an hours walk north of Esrom. If I just managed to reach the Hollow Green caves I would be safe, I could send a pigeon.

Stumbling I made my way over the dusty dirt road through the green hills. Upon further notice, I realized the grass was not as green as it had appeared rather I could feel it crackling under my bare feet as I moved from the path onto a small almost invisible animal track that was turning north into a valley. Luckily Green Island did not possess any predator's only lots of cows, goats, and sheep. Especially sheep. Annoyed I avoided stepping on another sheep turd as I followed the path. 

Looking up I could see a woman herding her sheep in the distance further up the valley. She was carrying a large wooden shepherds crook with a rusted bell on it as she slowly followed behind her sheep. Cautiously I made my way further into the valley, my mind fought my body. I needed rest, I needed water and I needed food. Perhaps the shepherd could share some of her provisions however it would risk my location. Endanger my escape and survival. Guarded I once again glanced up at the figure in the distance, a strange man, bare feet and wearing royal blue? No, I couldn't risk it, she would have no reason to trust any lie I tell with this appearance. Determined I continued on avoiding the shepherd as she made her way up the mountain path of the valley.