[3] Drowning in Shame

Drowning. It felt like I was drowning. It started in my fingers. I felt them growing numb as my throat tightened. My vocal chords felt like snapping in two. I wanted to scream out, to cry, to beg. My airway was clogged and my chest was starting to hurt. The fist sized muscle in my chest was beating furiously or perhaps desperately, like a bird attempting to escape its cage. I swear I could feel it throw itself against my ribcage searching for a lifeline. Ice cold water ran down my spine. Small droplets of sweat dropped on my forehead. The pain was becoming overwhelming, dulling my brain. "Please" I gasped for air. Water filled my lungs. I couldn't breathe. "Please." Cold eyes stared down at me in a haze. "Speak" He announced releasing his grasp. 

I coughed harshly as a cold shiver ran down my spine. They must have found the ring. I gently massaged my raw throat where angry red finger marks were painfully visible. "First things first" I responded with a cocky grin raising my hand in front of his face before he could object. "I demand a reward" I added arrogantly. "Ya feckin arrogant dog! Just wait till you're spitting out your own bloody teeth." Dorian yelled angrily as he stepped forward his fist raised. General Afworth raised his arm preventing Dorian from coming closer to me. I grinned whilst wagging my finger playfully at Dorian. "Now now that no way to treat a potential source of information that could change the course of history in your nation aye?". Dorian dark brown eyes held my pale ones. The threat clearly visible. No words would need to be spoken, he wanted meh dead. I leaned leisurely against the wooden beam in the small room analysing the situation. 

No matter false information or not, the Croan heir clearly didn't want anything to do with the crown prince. He apparently wished for him to remain buried six feet under. I wonder why. "Speak or die." General Afworth spoke catching my attention as he drew out his dagger. I held up my hands feebly, "Promise me ma freedom and ya shall have ya answers!" The Generals grip on his dagger tightened as he pointed it straight at my throat, the tip of the blade puncturing my skin. "Speak." I shrugged helplessly attempting to catch the generals' eye however his stare avoided mine whilst bearing down on the spot where skin met dagger. Feck. Quickly I rolled to the side as he struck. The man was not playing. "Ya crazy feck! Ya could have killed meh!" I yelled whilst grasping my throat feeling the blood drip between my fingers from tha gash. I could hear the blood pumping in my ears, and the small hairs on my neck stand up straight. Killing intent. 

"Fine I'll tell ya! I met him years ago. On Norths' ship. We were both boys of North. He was crazy though. Begged us all to help him escape, attempted to convince us he was a crown prince." I scoffed. "It was madness. He was obviously a pampered brat that didn't know anything more than suckin his mums tits." I gauched the Generals words as I spit out the last sentence. His green eyes swirled like emeralds. "Get Marion inside here, tell him to bring to quill and parchment. We will need a record." The General commanded as he wiped the blood of his dagger on a piece of cloth. "You can't be serious." Dorian growled, his eyes falling accusingly on me. "Any man can weave a story to save his skin." He spat out. "Any man can indeed, however not any man possesses the falcon ring of our crown prince. Now be quick and whilst you're at it get the physician back in here." Afworth growled. Dorian turned without a word and left the small tension stuffed room.

 "Now then as for you, you will give me a full detailed record of any interactions you have had with this boy on North ship, pray you tell the truth otherwise it will be a water grave for you." I shook my head shakily. "Nah I ain't telling nothin without somethin in return." I murmured. "You are in no condition to bargain." The General answered whilst raising an eyebrow. "Sure I am, without meh ya will never know tha truth of what became of him." The General clenched his teeth. "Are you telling me he is still alive and you know of his being?" I chuckled. "Whatever ya perceive hidden in mah words, is what ya believe." The flash of a dagger sliced the thin air. "Pray tell why I shouldn't just slice it out of you?" I grinned. "I'm already a dead man walking, a few cuts will be tha end of me, and ya shall never have ya answers." Silence followed, I could feel his gaze on me. It was not a lie, I was in bad shape and without any help I would soon meet mah maker and with that I didn't mean mah mom.