𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓞𝓷𝓮

𝓡𝓸𝓼𝓮

I cover my eyes and shift under the blanket, awakened  by the bright blue sky that shines onto my body. The blanket being unable to cover the sun completely, I sigh. My body shifts away from the blazing sun but it fails to keep me from becoming fully awake. Pushing away the big and woolly blue blanket off of me, I slowly walk over to my closet, pulling out one of my garments.

"This shade would be a nice colour to wear today" My eyes glaze over.

A colour my mother was quite fond of, she always tried her best to dress me in it. According to her, wearing red gave her luck.

My eyes turned towards the mirror on the wall behind me. Looking at myself, I take in my light brown translucent skin. Father said I originated from Li, a small rural town in the mountains. After my father and mother, Jao, had me, they ventured into a bigger town to find more work and opportunities for the family. Though when Father met my mother he was a foreigner from a far away land. Father hadn't mentioned much of it saying that he abandoned the past when he met mother. I smile, looking up at my messy, short black hair that mostly covers the side of my face and forehead. I look down at my slender legs that take up most of my height. I was a little above average height but I honestly did not mind.

I was thankful.

I slide on my big, loose long dress. It was a long, elegant robe that did not cling to my body, it just flowed on the side while it complimented my face.

It was pleasing to see that I could carry myself in remembrance of what my mother has always taught me.

After a few moments of brushing light red paint on my lips and painting my nails a solid black. I then headed downstairs to prepare a small lunch for my father before he awakened for work. I cut a few vegetables, ensuring that he will be able to have a healthy meal on his journey. After I placed the vegetables into the box, I then placed a slice of meat I saved from last night's meal into a square box. After putting away everything I had used, I quickly wrote out a small note to him.

"I'll be heading out to the market for more food and also for a new hairpin. I will be safe and come back soon Father, love you"

The note was set next to the lunch box and prepared to leave for the market. Today instead of heading straight to the food district, I want to walk over to the music district, I thought with a smile, cheerfully waving to acquaintances that had walked past me.

Going to the market with Father was a fond memory in the past, about five months ago he started to take on more work and since then I would usually go alone. Smiling, I brush away those thoughts and continue to walk.

I finally arrive at the music district, averting my eyes to the diverse composers and musicians. This part of the district was usually crowded because musical travelers would come to play music since it was on the way to the capital of Lian. Amidst the crowd I hear a soft flute play, curious I follow the sweet melody to its owner.

As the melody grew louder, I could see it was a man surrounded by other entranced people also enjoying the music as well.

"This music is beautiful," I whisper, glancing at the instrument playing and at the man that was playing it so well.

I glance at the musician's tall, broad, pale body. A part of his face was covered by his blond short hair, complementing the look with his loose, long yukata with the shade of blue and yellow. His features were charming, he looked to be older, around twenty-one or so.

I close my eyes and continue to listen to the soft, sweet music playing. Minutes passed and I could hear most of the crowd disperse most likely continuing on with their errands.

His music comes to an end and he looks towards me.

"How are you, young lady?" I swiftly opened my eyes, surprised that his comment was directed towards me. I start to blush and begin to think of a reply.

"I am well, you play extremely well, Sir." I look upward at his face, gaining a little confidence.

He nods. "Thank you, I'm quite skilled." I could see his face become more relaxed. He seemed to be a gentleman by the way he talked to me. I wondered if he had traveled here with someone.

"My name is Hide." He gazes at me, waiting for me to give my name.

"My first name is Luce but you can call me Rose." Since he gave me his name it was respectful to return the favor by saying mine. Normally I would not have conversations like this but I was really happy to talk with Hide. I would never have the chance to speak with others unless it was an errand for me to run for Father. However, I would not be able to tell father about my encounter with him. He was overprotective and absolutely hated when I talked to strangers, specifically men.

Hide stood there as if he was registering my name, a few seconds passed by and I saw his expression change from confusion to amusement. He finally shook his head and looked at me, "Pardon me for not saying anything, I got lost in my thoughts."

I nod. "It's fine. I don't mind." I softly brush my bangs to the side as I smile. Hide was fascinating. I had never met someone with his characteristics. He put his flute into his yukata and adjusted his composure. "If you don't mind, I was wondering if you would join me during the fireworks tonight, I heard it is really great to go in pairs." I thought for a moment: so he traveled alone?

I was planning to attend the event alone because Father was not able to go, but going with Hide seemed better.

"Sure." I happily nodded.

**************