Chapter 4

Eugene learnt that the first ability he needed to master was how to blink. Back in the real world, it was easy to do it. Just press ‘W’ on the keyboard and he can teleport all over to avoid attack or to edge in his battle. But the situation now was different. He was literally in Anti-Mage’s body so there was no keyboard to press. He was clueless as to how he should be able to blink. Davion had told him that the power lies within him but truth be told, he wasn’t so convince of himself right now. All he wanted to do was find the ‘W’ on that keyboard. He felt frustrated. Luckily, Davion took him to the woods just behind their base camp. This area still belongs to the radiant just next to the Veil’s border. The woods were filled with huge, beautiful-looking trees and colorful birds. The grass felt comfy and the sound of flowing waters made him feel serene. Davion had instructed him to seat on a huge river stone next to a small waterfall. After Eugene had absorbed all the tranquility, he started to wonder, “What are we doing here, actually?” He asked. “I need you to close your eyes. Empty your mind. Be as perfectly calm as you can be,” Davion said. Without protesting, Eugene did what he was told to do. He closed his eyes and tried to empty his mind. He tried not to think of anything at all. After a few seconds, he opened his eyes, stared at Davion, and complained, “This is hard!”

Davion smiled, “Precisely.” Then, he continued by asking Eugene a question, “Do you see that stone across the river?”

Eugene nodded. Then, Davion said, “Close your eyes. Think of only that particular stone and shut everything else from your mind. But try not to push yourself too hard. You mind must be at peace.”

“If I do that, I can blink there?” Eugene asked. Davion smiled again and then said, with assurance, “If you can do that, you can blink anywhere.”

“Okay. Let’s try this,” Eugene got up from sitting and start to jump up and down slowly with his eyes closed while shaking his hands just like a boxer who was getting ready to fight outside the boxing ring. Then, he spoke of his thoughts out loud trying to imagine himself being across the river, “Peace of mind… peace… of… mind…peeeaaaaccceeee…”

Then, he opened his eyes hoping he made it to where he wanted to be, only to find he was still where he used to be. “Damn! You made it sound so easy,” he said. Davion flashed a sly smile on his face and ignore Eugene’s complaint. Eugene eyed the stone across the river. He then eyed the path he will take if he were to walk there. He studied the grass below the stone where he was, the sets of smaller stones along the riverbank, the flowing clear river water with shoal of small fishes swimming at ease, and finally the huge stone on the other side of the river. So, he figured, in order to get there, he must first go through all these obstacles. He began to concentrate while imagining the places he needed to pass through to reach his ultimate destination. He opened his eyes and found himself standing on a set of small stones near the riverbank. Then, he shouted to Davion, “I didn’t walk here, didn’t I?”

“No. You did not,” Davion replied, satisfied.

Eugene was keen to keep trying again. He ran back to his original position and tried. On his second attempt, he ended up near the riverbank again. On his third attempt, he can feel like he managed to skip the place near the riverbank and he was happy but only to find that he ended up on air at the middle of the river. He screamed as he fell into the icy cold water. He shrugged as he swam back to land and look fiercely at Davion who was laughing. After that, he tried again and again until he finally made it to that stone across the river swiftly. He finally understood his ability. It was almost as if he was moving quickly instead of teleporting. It was like putting your mind elsewhere before you actually made it there. It was like reading a book out loud. You already read the content in your mind before you spit each word out loud. You have already figured out how you would tone your words before you even said it. That was blink. Travelling to short distance in a matter of seconds. It was almost unbelievable that he was doing exactly what Magina was doing in the game and the feeling Eugene was feeling was priceless.