F: Spirit on the Beach

The deer spirit trotted around the beach frantically, remaining visible in hopes someone would see it. But nobody was around. Even the Avatar, whom the spirit thought was right behind, was busy somewhere else.

The spirit could feel the energy of the human it had bonded with, Kota. Her life force was just a flicker. Not just weak anymore, but genuinely flickering between life and death. It trotted back into the water, trying to grab Kota's shirt with its teeth to pull, but still, it wasn't strong enough.

There was really only one thing left to try. The deer pushed itself headfirst into Kota's shoulder, merging, and took over her body. Unsure if it would kill her or not, the spirit took a chance. She was about to die anyway.

In full control of her body now, the spirit pedaled her arms and swam forward, desperately reaching for the shore, knowing that fully healthy humans will die if a spirit merges with them for longer than a few minutes.

After a few tries, they caught the right wave and washed right up on the shore. The deer spirit leapt out of Kota's body, although it wasn't without damage to her. Some of its swirl pattern was permanently etched on her skin, and there was probably more unseen effects, but for now the damage seemed to be minimal.

With new strength, Kota drew in air and reflexively coughed out the seawater she'd taken in. She opened her eyes and saw a sparkling hoof. Her memory caught up with her and she looked around frantically for Jaso. He was still floating just past the cresting waves, on his back.

Kota stumbled to her knees, ignoring her bad foot, and threw herself back into the water, using the brief burst of strength the spirit had given her. She grabbed her little brother's shirt and dragged him back ashore with her, where she collapsed once again, reaching one hand up to his neck.

There was a strong pulse, and his chest rose and fell under her arm. She let out a sound that was near a sob, and let herself forget everything else. Forget the pain radiating up her leg. Forget the psychological trauma of the past week. Forget the fact that the rest of her family was probably dead or dying at this very moment. And forget Roh.

Temporarily.

For now, she was able to rest knowing that she'd done everything she possibly could.

~//~