March 1st, 1971

The group began to travel from city to city on two rundown tour buses, that could barely make it up a steep hill. The engine would smoke if it proceeded sixty miles per hour. Jane was allowed to ride with the band and the management on one bus, while the rest of the crew shared the remotely smaller one. The band and Jane was accompanied by three young groupies who packed up their bags and followed the boys from Pittsburg. The girls could not be much older than seventeen, but the band did not care. They were young boys living the life some could only hope for. The thing that did unsettle Jane the most was the fact that the boys had no remorse for the women they would return to. Jane learned in a few short days that playboy Charlie was actually a father, and a loving husband. Somehow Jane could not picture him happily married as he was being fed grapes by of one of the groupies mouths. 

Jane stood up from her seat across from Charlie and the groupie Candy. She walked slowly to the front of the bus where Will and Don were working on a new song. She sat down next to them, quietly listening to Will strum a new tune. "What do you think Jane?" Don asked after a few minutes. Jane grinned, "It beautiful." She heard a scoff escape Will's lips. 

"It's a work in progress." He said trying to nail the tune over and over again. 

Jane paused questioning if she should offer advice or not. After awhile she quietly spoke. "Maybe if you tried it a little more up beat. A harder intro." Will glared up from his guitar. He said nothing, flashing Don a look. Don shrugged, "We could try it." He said. Will stopped for a moment, it was if a dark cloud flooded his thoughts. He furrowed his brows, then began to play the tune the way Jane suggested. It sounded hardcore, different then their previous album, which highlighted their folky blues roots. This was more rock & roll, louder, more cutting edge. 

Will stopped playing and smiled. "What do you know, she knows music too." Jane blushed flashing her bright smile. "Do you have lyrics for it yet?" She asked. Will shook his head. 

"Charlie wants a shot at writing this one. Will promised him." Don informed her, standing and walking to the back of the bus. After Don was gone, Will placed his guitar back in his red leather case. He moved to the seat next to him to be closer to Jane. He let out a deep sigh, meeting her gaze. 

"What's wrong?" She offered an ear. 

He shrugged, "Just thinking." His voice trailed on. Will looked past Jane out the bus window, watching as the trees zoomed past. "What's your goal in life Jane?" He quietly said, never looking back to her. Taken aback she thought, what was her goal in life? Jane was never asked what her goals or dreams were before, those were already predetermined for her. She thought, the only thing she has ever felt a real connection to was music. Unfortunately gifted with no musical talent Jane spent her life as a fan and not an artist. "Well to be honest with you, I'm not too sure." Will was pulled back from his gaze out the window now fixated on her. He looked deep into her eyes searching for something, maybe something more of an answer closer to the truth. 

"Why are you here?" He asked. 

She smirked, "I guess to escape." She shrugged, letting out a sigh. "I don't know, for the first time in my life I have no one telling me who I should be." Will nodded, signaling for her to continue. He loved hearing her speak, she was so soft on the outside but he knew there was a wild, untamed woman scratching to be let free. "My father's idea of unconditional love is how well I live up to his expectations. Happiness is a figure of my imagination, the first thing I ever learned from him. Success is happiness." She let happiness dance on the tip of her tongue losing herself deep in her mind. Will breathed deeply placing his hand on hers. 

"Success is bullshit, and happiness destroys anyone who goes looking for it." He spoke firmly, his words somehow comforting Jane. She smiled softly, holding onto Will's hand as they continued on down the road in peaceful silence.