Part 4-Fitz

They both lay in the grass. Unconscious. Keefe had blue running up his arms. It stood his hair on end. And Sophie, she just lay there, staring at the sky. 

These two people that Fitz loved so much, could be slipping away from him. He had hailed Elwin, and he was on his way. But he wasn't getting here fast enough. 

But every second felt like a lifetime. And every minute felt like forever. 

He couldn't lose them. 

Feet pounded towards them. Fitz looked up. Dex, Grady, and Edaline were running up the hill. 

"Sophie!" Edaline screeched. She collapsed at her daughters side and took her in her arms. A white flash ran up Edaline's arm. She didn't seem to notice. 

"She's been shocked," Grady said. "With lightning." The words took a minute to sink in. But then all eyes turned towards Keefe. 

They had been waiting for him to manifest. Waiting to see what his creepy mother would put him through. 

A Charger thought? What evil could be done with that?  

Don't underestimate her, Fitz reminded himself. That had never served them well. 

A flash of light. Elwin landed in the grass. He took a look and saw them on the ground. But Elwin wasn't fazed by much now. He rushed over and took Sophie from Edaline, he lay her gently in the grass. Her unblinking eyes stared at the sky. 

He flashed lights around her then nodded. "She's been shocked, it wasn't too much voltage. So she's still alive." Everyone began to breathe again. 

She wasn't dead. Fitz sank to his knees. 

"Her cells are a wreck though. But I have some stuff to help her with that." He turned to Keefe, who was still in an unconscious heap. "He's almost as problematic as she is," he muttered. He took a wooden bracelet out of his bag and carefully snapped it around Keefe's wrist. "This will calm down his sparkles for a little bit." 

"Fitz, grab Sophie. We need to get these two to the Healing Center." Fitz nodded and scooped her up. She felt so light, do delicate. 

Grady and Elwin both grabbed Keefe and they lifted their pathfinder up to the light. 

~

They slept, for a long time. Keefe had stopped looking like a storm cloud and now lay peacefully in his bed. His expression was not peaceful though. He looked haunted by something. Fitz pulled his chair up to his cot. 

Maybe he could give him good dreams, he owed him that much. He hadn't been the best of friends lately. And it was time to make up for that. 

Fitz closed his eyes and reached out with his mind. Once he was in he swam away from the nightmare, which looked like something Keefe needed rescuing from and went to a little corner of the mind that was completely silent. Holding onto that, he started pouring images in of the happy things they had been through together. Memories of sleepovers, mainly the level three one. The Great Gulon Incident, and Sophie. He knew that always made him happy. 

Fitz opened his eyes. Keefe's expression was peaceful. Fitz smiled and got up from his chair to find somewhere to sleep. 

~

The next morning was madness. Keefe and Sophie were both awake, and discharged. Elwin poured a million elixers down their throats. And he gave Keefe another one of the bracelets. 

Ro stalked in and tweaked Keefe's ear. "Have a good rest, Sleeping beauty?" 

"Always," Keefe said with a wink. 

"Heard you gave Blondie a little shocker." She showed off her pointed teeth and looked Sophie over. "No worse for the wear though. Thank goodness." Keefe glared at her and slumped lower into his bed. 

"What I'm wondering is why a Charge?'" Sophie said. Fitz nodded. 

"I was wondering the same thing." 

"Guess we'll have to find out," Keefe said, getting up from bed. "I think it's time to confront mother dearest."