Four; Telling Dallas

•••

I started coughing violently, water escaping my mouth and my stomach clenching. My vision cleared, and I noticed I was still in the park, sitting by the fountain.

"Linden?" A weak voice reached my ears, and I shakily climbed to my feet, nearly falling over if someone hasn't caught me.

"Are you alright?" Johnny asked, easing me to the ground again so I could regain my balance.

His face was a strange greenish-white color, and he was trembling.

"I'll live," I told him, coughing slightly. "Are you okay?"

He seemed to think for a minute before shaking his head. "No."

"Where's Pony?" I said suddenly, getting to my feet, wobbling slightly. I walk around the fountain with Johnny, and find him sprawled across the ground. He was wet, and I remembered that they had been drowning him, too.

I look down at myself, and realize that I was sopping wet, even more so than Pony, who was wet from the shoulders up. My entire torso was soaked with freezing water, not to mention my hair.

Johnny leaned over him, and shook him.

My eyes wandered from my two friends, and I immediately regret it.

Bob, the Soc that had attacked us with his friends, was doubled over on his side a few yards away from us, a red pool of blood growing from him. I vaguely hear Pony and Johnny talking a foot away from me as I hurriedly look away from the gruesome sight, only to see Pony retching over by the slide.

"Johnny...what..." I trailed off, unable to finish my sentence.

"I had to," Johnny said, his voice breaking," He was drowning you, and they were going to beat Pony and I..."

Ponyboy stumbled over, wiping his mouth on his arm. "What are we going to do?" He asked, panicking slightly, "Johnny they put people in the electric chair for murder!"

I dropped my head into my hands, tugging slightly on my wet hair. We need a plan, money, a gun, maybe. Where would we get any of that?

"Dallas!" Johnny exclaimed. "Dallas can help us!"

Dallas.

•••

Johnny knocked on the door, and I shivered slightly, the wild sounds within tugging on my nerves.

Buck's known for his wild parties, and I've always told myself I wouldn't go within ten miles of this place, but we have no choice if we want to get Dally's help.

Buck pulled it open, looking slightly intoxicated. "Whaddaya want?" He asked, raising an eyebrow at us.

"Dally! We gotta talk to Dally!" Johnny said.

Buck narrowed his eyes. "He's busy."

"Tell him it's Pony, Johnny, and Linden!" Ponyboy demanded.

Buck glared at us, before retreating back into the house.

Dallas appeared a minute later, shirtless, scratching the hair on his chest. I blushed, and averted my eyes.

"Sorry for bothering you," Johnny started.

Dally glanced contemptuously over his shoulder. "Shoot, kid. I was in the bedroom."

Something bubbled in the pit of my stomach, and I shuffled my feet uncomfortably. "Glory, but your ears can get red, Ponyboy."

"Johnny k-killed a soc," Pony blurted.

Dally didn't even bat an eye. "Good for you."

He saw me behind Pony, and looked momentarily sheepish, before his eyes widened. "Linden! Are you wet?!" [a/n: shut up, pervs.]

"Y-y-yes-s," I stuttered, shivering violently.

"Hallelujah!" He exclaimed, opening the screen door, "You'll catch your death 'fore the cops ever catch you!" He grabbed my hand and pulled me inside, gesturing for the boys to follow.

His hand was warm around mine, and I didn't ever want him to let go.

He led us up to his room, and shut the door behind us. He rummaged through his drawers, and tossed me a shirt.

"Me an' you aren't exactly the same size," he said, "but it's dry and it'll keep you warm."

I went into the bathroom, and peeled my soaked jacket off, and tugged my wet shirt up over my head. I slid the shirt shirt over my head, and tied it with a rubber band so that it wasn't hanging to my knees.

I lifted the collar to my nose, and smiled. It smelt like cologne, cigarettes, and something purely Dallas.

I walked out, and saw that Dally had handed the boys a gun and a wad of cash.

"Here, Linden," he said, holding his jacket up. "It'll keep you warm." He helped me slide my arms through it. He lifted my hair out of it, and I felt his fingers gently glide over my neck. I shivered, and I heard him take a sharp intake of breath.

"Thanks," I said softly, turning around to face him.

He led us downstairs, and before I could follow Pony and Johnny out the door, Dallas grabbed my hand and turned me around.

His blue eyes bore into mine, and his hands came to rest on my shoulders, at the junction of my neck. "Be careful, kid," he whispered.

"I will, Dal. Thanks," I answered, unable to look away from his strong gaze.

Before I could comprehend what was happening, he slammed his lips down on mine, and I was kissing back.

He pulled back and leaned his forehead against mine, his lips barely brushing against mine. "Stay safe," he mumbled.

"I will."

He kissed me once more before pulling away and walking back upstairs.

I brushed my fingers over my tingling lips, and smiled.

"Come on, Linden!" Pony called.

I never told Dallas about my parents.