Chapter 5- I'm Sure You Are Aware, Ms. Winston....

I flopped down in the chair in front of the principal’s desk with a huffy sigh, sticking my feet up on the edge of his desk. 

        He sat down on the other side of his desk, giving the filthy bottom of my Converses a dirty look before saying, “Ms. Winston, would you please remove your feet from my desk.”

        Oops, I’d pissed him off even more.  Oh well.  I dropped my feet to the floor, staring him down. 

        I seriously didn’t understand this whole discipline thing.  Johnny had a busted arm and Two-Bit and Ponyboy didn’t know why either one of us weren’t out there yet, but the principal decided that dealing with my ‘inappropriate behavior’ was more important.

        “I’m sure you are aware, Ms. Winston, that violence is not allowed in this school and for whatever reason you did get in a fight with Mr. Hollister, it is not an adequate excuse for authorities of this school to tolerate that kind of inappropriate behavior.  So what do you have to say for yourself?” the principal asked me, all business.

        “Save me the speech and suspend me already,” I replied evenly and sarcastically, seeing as how he had already given me the speech, or the shortened version of it.

        “So you are saying that you beat up that boy because you wanted to get suspended, Ms. Winston?” he asked me like he didn’t believe me.

        “I could find a lot easier ways to get myself suspended,” I answered cockily.  I noticed a vein in his forehead pulsating.  I was great at making people mad.

        He sighed, clearly trying to keep from blowing up at me, and said, “That attitude is not going to get you out of trouble any faster.”

        “Even if a different attitude would it doesn’t make any difference.  Mr. Hollister,” I said, saying his name like it left a dirty taste in my mouth, “busted my friend’s arm.  For no reason.  So I suggest you drag him in here and give him this speech rather than me,” I stated defiantly.

        He clenched his jaw as he tried to think of something disciplinary to say, but then the phone rang.

        I tuned out, figuring that was probably the cops come to arrest me on assault and battery charges or something, but I was brought back to reality when he hung up and turned his attention back to me.

        With a defiant look on his face, he said, “That was Mr. Hollister’s parents.  He has a broken nose, a cracked rib, and a fractured arm. They pressed charges, and after an official investigation, you will be going to the reformatory.  Maybe that will teach hoods like you a lesson,” he said, and I could have sworn he was gloating.

        He knew I was going to end up in juvie, he was going to make sure of it even though it was bound to happen anyways.  Though I could always call him out on being unprofessional and insulting a student with that ‘hood’ remark, it wouldn’t do me any good.

        The principal marched over to the door and held it open, excusing me in the most impolite way possible without actually physically throwing me out the door.

        I found Pony and Two-Bit outside, with Johnny, thankfully, because he had gone and found them.

        Two-Bit and Pony both opened their mouths to ask me something, but I stopped them with a sharp, “Don’t ask.  We’re going to your house, and then we’re taking Johnny to the hospital,” I commanded.

        We started walking without another word to the Curtis’s.  I leaned over and grabbed Johnny by the collar of his jean jacket and hissed in his ear, “Let me handle this.”

        He nodded meekly and didn't argue.

        I didn’t need Dally to kill me anytime soon, and I had a plan to keep Johnny, and myself, hopefully, out of trouble.