05

05

____

"RISE AND SHINE, Mavin!"

"Close the goddamn curtains!"

Strong sunlight breaks through my window and my eyes stung. Mabilis akong nagtalukbong ng unan saka nagbalot ng kumot pero hinila 'yon ni Amethyst.

"What the—"

"Gising na nga sabi," Amy says, "kasi Sabado ngayon. I thought you promised me you'll watch Game of Thrones with me?"

"It's 7 AM, Amethyst Cambray!"

"And the series starts at 7:30 so wake the hell up already!"

I groggily woke up and sat beside her on the couch, eating popcorn. We were both in our pajamas and surprisingly, I enjoyed the series although it isn't my cup of tea. I spaced out half the time though. I couldn't focus. She was way too close to me.

It has been like this every time. Sa tuwing gagawin niya ang Calculus assignment ko, manghihingi siya sa akin ng pabor. Just the little things . . . like a bag of potato chips, new pillowcases, watch a series with her, and such.

Sometimes, she says she misses her friends and can't wait to see them again. Sometimes whenever we watch something, she'd point at the TV screen and say the character reminds her of a friend.

Naaalala ko pa rin kung paano siya sa akin umiyak no'ng gabing 'yon, but at the same time, she doesn't want to rush me, so here we are now.

Last week, Amethyst and I got into a fight because I found out that she left the house while I was at work. I thought we talked about it and there she was, putting us on danger.

"Amethyst," I said calmly. I was massaging my scalp. "You shouldn't have left this house."

"I . . . I was trying to help—"

"You've got a funny way of helping, Amethyst."

"K-Kasi naman!" she said. "I told you numerous times already. Hindi ako nag-bus, nilakad ko 'yung library, and I went out your house through the window on the back and nobody saw me! P-Plus suot ko 'yung hoodie mo and nobody looked at my face!"

"E paano kung may nangyari?" I asked. "Paano kung nasagasaan ka, nahulog, they saw your body and realized that the hoodie you were wearing was mine — do you, honestly, think that would be help?"

Of course I worried about what could've happened to her but it would be weird to say that. I just said something that would prove a point.

"But that didn't happen, did it?" sabi niya. "Saka hindi naman na ako bata—"

"That's not the point," I said. "We're both in this together and you're not supposed to act on your own. Don't be stupid." I closed my eyes tight and breathed deep. "Damn, Amy."