08

08

____

ONE OF MY traits that I hate the most is my mouth runs faster than my head when I'm angry, happy, or afraid. It had brought me to many arguments and misunderstandings, and no matter how much I want to control myself, it's hard to remove this poor trait off me.

"You shouldn't have called like that!" sabi ko. I shouldn't have given her my old phone.

Kakauwi ko lang galing coffee shop at nadatnan kong natutulog si Amethyst sa couch. She woke up at my arrival and she seemed angry.

"Well, sorry, then!" sabi niya saka tumayo sa couch. "Kung sana alam ko lang kung nasaan ka, 'di ba? No one's informing me anyway, so para hindi na nakakahiya ako nang tumawag!"

Why are we always fighting like this? I just sighed and calmed down. Pumunta ako sa kusina na kaharap lang ng sala.

Tiningnan ko lang ulit si Amethyst. She's not looking at me now. She's facing the dead television, but she's breathing hard in anger, in frustration. Throughout this day she did nothing but clean up my house, face the television and eat by herself. Her parents are dead. The town believes she's dead.

She only has me.

I drank water. Before I could even say something to her, she stormed off and went to the bathroom. A few seconds later, I can hear the shower running.

Napabuntonghininga ako. I looked at the dinner table and saw an untouched bowl of curry. A pang of guilt hit my chest.

I walked towards the locked door of the comfort room and knocked.

"Amethyst," I called softly.

No response. Just running water.

I knocked again. "It's okay if you don't answer, but at least listen to me," sabi ko. I sighed. "I-I'm sorry for yelling."

The shower turned off.

"I shouldn't have yelled," sabi ko, nakatitig sa sahig. "It's just that Cinna heard you. I panicked. Nadala ako. So sorry."

"C-Cinna heard me?"

Her little voice echoed around the comfort room. I shifted my weight to my other foot.

"Oo," I replied. "Sinabi ko na lang na pumunta muna dito sa bahay 'yung pinsan ko. I told her she's just hearing things."

Amethyst didn't answer.

"Are you crying?" tanong ko.

"No, I'm not," sabi niya. "It just made me a little happy. T-That she can remember my voice. You know?"

I smiled. "Yeah." Napasandal ako sa pintuan ng CR saka huminga nang malalim. "She's your best friend, after all."

After a little silence, she spoke again.