Chapter Twelve - Until You Lie.

Three weeks passed. Three weeks Gabriel stayed with me. His grief, while still raw and real became less constant. A new normal was surfacing. Our normal.

“I need to go out this morning.” He mumbled. “Just uh, have something on.” He croaked as he wrapped his arms around my waist.

“Oh?”

“Yeah, I've been falling behind on a class. The professor has a spare gap so he's going to go through the steps with me.”

I poured two cups of coffee and turned to give Gabriel one, He took it gratefully then sipped.

“What are your plans for the day” He murmured.

“I was thinking about calling Elle. Or seeing if Sandra needs a hand down at the store” Or go rehearse for next weeks play.

“Sounds fun” He smiled at me then kissed me on the nose. “I'll be back around 5pm. I'll bring home dinner. We can eat in bed?”

I smiled and nodded. “Now that sounds fun”

I waited for Gabriel to leave, and then I left a few minutes later. I drove to my dance rehearsal first, then the theater rehearsal. By the time I was on my way home a whole day had passed.

It was nearing 5pm when I walked in the door. Gabriel had been back, His wallet and phone were on the table. His car wasn't out the front, so I knew he wasn't home.

I poured a glass of wine and grabbed the Chinese delivery menu off the fridge. He wasn't going to get far buying dinner without his wallet and I was hungry.

I picked up his phone to make the order a few minutes later. I swiped the screen to unlock it. He had message from Elle.

I don't know what made me open it. I shouldn't have. I was invading his privacy, crossing lines. His phone was his business and I was crossing all sorts of lines. 

I know it's eating you up. Tell her. I'll take the fall out. - Elle

My stomach dropped and suddenly I wished I could un-see the message.

I didn't understand the context, it could have meant anything. Unfortunately my curiosity was peaked, I scrolled up, and was confronted by screeds of messages between Gabe and Elle. My heart felt weak and weary. My hands shook as I scrolled to the very top and read the first one.

My friend Megan said I could trust you, I have a proposition – Elle

 She mentioned you. I've been expecting your message. What is the situation? - Gabriel

 I broke my sisters heart in High school. I was awful. I tried to steal her prom date. The thing is, I want to make it right. I want to give her what I took away. - Elle

 My stomach churned. What the fuck was going on. I kept reading, I was too far gone to stop now. My heart was so weak I thought it might actually stop.

So you want to give your sister a chance at revenge so she forgives you? Am I right? - Gabriel

Yes. Will you do it? - Elle

Megan told you that I'm not a settle down type of guy right? You could be setting your sister up for a broken heart. - Gabriel

I frowned, I'd been a fool. He didn't love me. He was acting, it was all an act.

Megan said you like your space... yes. Look I get it, it's a one time thing. Just meet her, seduce her and then walk away. - Elle

Are you sure? - Gabriel