Chapter Nine - Cross my heart and hope to die.

The next couple of days passed by quickly. By Saturday I was both exhausted by the long week and excited by the forthcoming “date”. LAPAS was turning out better than I had hoped for, in more ways than one.

I worked on the Saturday morning at the Dress shop. I was emptying a new box of clothes when Sandra came over armed with coat hangers.

“So, what are you plans for tonight dear” Sandra exclaimed handing me the coat hangers.

“I've got a date.” I murmured shyly

“Oh! That will be fun, I didn't know you seeing anyone.”

“It's new.” I shrugged, Sandra definitely did not need to know about the arrangement Gabriel and I had.

“Where are you going?”

“Some dance club. I was thinking about wearing my prom dress.” I laughed. It was still fashionable, maybe not quite right for a dance club, but it would make do.

“Nonsense! You'll swim in that now, you've lost 20 pounds since high school at least.”

“it's more like 10, but thanks.”

“No matter. Look you know how much I like gifting you some of the my dresses, I have a perfect one for a dance club.”

“You do?”

“Yes, its gorgeous. It's still out the back in fact.”

Sandra hurried off and I set about putting the coat hangers down by the box of new stock. She return a little while later holding a black dress bag. “Now you promise you won't say no right away, only I know you like understated.” She handed the bag to me with a smile. “It's an understated style, a simple halter neck, with a tear drop hemline, perfect for dancing, but its-”

“Emerald.” I whispered as I slid the dress bag off. The dress was beautiful, beyond beautiful.

“I want you to have it.”

“I couldn't, You already gave me the blue one a few weeks back.”

“Honey, I didn't have any daughters, and you know it gives me great joy to see you smile.”

I could tell she wouldn't take no for an answer, she never did. I smiled and playfully rolled my eyes.

“Let me try it on then.”

Sandra nodded then opened the box in front of us. I walked through to the changing rooms and peeled my clothes off. I pulled the dress on and rearranged it until it was sitting right.

It was a perfect fit. Like it had been custom made for me, like I was the only person that was ever meant to wear it

I walked out into the main shop still wearing the dress. Sandra nodded and smiled widely. “It's perfect!”

After my shift had finished I drove home. It was 6pm and Gabriel was arriving at 7pm. I showered and put the dress back on.

 For once in my life, I didn't feel like a frumpy ugly duckling. I felt sexy.

I left my hair down and put on a splash of makeup. I tried to ignore the niggling voice in my head telling me that I was trying to hard. This wasn't a real date.

 When 7pm rolled around I became giddy with excitement. A feeling I'd once felt on prom night. Before my sister jumped on my date. Tonight would be different though, Gabriel wasn't Nate.

I heard a car pull up the drive and took a long slow breath in. Gabe. My heart raced at the mere thought of him. I wondered if he even knew the physical reaction his presence had on my body.