Downtown

"Phone just rang heard a nigga got,got. He was over in the East last thing that he heard six shots. He ain't gettin' no love from the cops, nobody got caught. Real talk when I heard who it was,  heart damn near stopped. Somebody done killed my brother,"

After Rae went inside August left saying he just came over to apologize.

The rest of the summer went by smoothly; I didn't talk to Rae the rest of summer she did her thing and I did mine. She was still messing with Rome even after all that shit had happened, I couldn't believe her but it wasn't my concern. 

The only people I really talked to was Mel, August, and Crystal. She had her second and third baby in late July no one knew there was a third one though, I'm not sure if Mel was getting all teary eyed because he was happy or because he know has three mouths to feed.

I was reading a new book called "Romiette and Julio". I was slowly realizing Sharon Draper was becoming my favorite author, I loved her writing style and all her books. I was at the part where Romiette and Julio had been kidnapped when Mel walked into my room and told me to get dressed because we were going to hang out.

It was dark outside when Mel had finally decided that he was hungry, I watched all the houses pass by as we sat in a comfortable silence. 

"Aye I got some shit I've got to get done though, that ion want you seein'." Mel said keeping his eyes on the road.

I nodded, "You have to stand on the corner?" I asked a little confused I didn't really know how these things worked.

"You make me sound like a prostitute," he chuckled before continuing, "it's something like that I gotta do a drop on Gorge street, you can wait for me in the McDonalds across the street though."

"Alright." I nodded, my stomach bubbled nervously, I didn't like the fact that Mel was involved in these kind of things at all.

I stepped out of the car as he parked it in front of the McDonalds, "Get me a number one meal," He said as he handed me money.

I nodded and took the money, I walked into the McDonalds and stood in the line. I couldn't shake the feeling of being nervous, I kept casting glances over my shoulder at Mel standing across the street.

After getting the food I sat a table next to the window, sipping my drink I noticed something; Mel was handing some guy something in a little baggy as a black car slowly pulled onto the street. I was getting an uneasy feeling as I watched the car.

I squinted at the car as it sped up and the windows rolled down revealing to guys in ski masks. I quickly got up as I saw a gun being pointed out the window aiming at Mel. The guy standing next to him quickly took a step to the side and ducked.

I ran to the exit almost knocking someone over as I did, the cool air hit my face as I ran into the parking lot.

"ME-" before I could even finish his name gun shots went off, I quickly ducked behind a car.

"Y'all niggas almost shot me!" I heard a voice yell.

"Shut the fuck up and hurry up and get in!" Another voice yelled back.

The car door was slammed shut and the tires screech as the car sped off. I stood up hesitantly and looked across the street, I saw Mel laying on the ground. I didn't hesistate to run across the street over to him, my vision blurred as I saw all the blood around him.

"No,no,no." I exclaimed as I kneeled next to him. 

I grabbed his phone out of his pocket and dialed 911 with shaky hands. After the call I noticed he was barely breathing, I had tried to stop the blood but he his injuries were to bad.

"Aye J, stop all that crying," He said tightly as blood came out of his mouth.

"Shh, the ambulance will be here soon." I said as the tears kept falling.

"No, listen I'm not gonna make it. Just promise me you'll watch out for August and make sure Crystal and my daughters are good ight ?" His breathing was slowing and I could tell it was taking what little strength he had left to talk.

I grabbed his hand and begged him to stay with me, promising the ambulance would be here in a few minutes. I watched as the life seemed to almost drain out of his eyes as his eyelid drooped, I shook my head and shook him a little.

The tears wouldn't stop as his hand went limp in mine, his eyes closed as his head rolled to the side.

I sobbed and squeezed his hand, "Mel please..." But I knew he couldn't hear me.

I could hear faint ambulance sirens in the background over my loud cries. I didn't care about all of the blood as I wrapped my arms around his body. Every moment we shared went through my mind causing me to cry harder.

Everything after that was a blur, I remember the people in the ambulance pulling me off of him and putting his body in a body bag. I watched as they zipped it closed and put him in the ambulance.

I remember the police questioning me and August showing up, who called him I had no idea. He was yelling and screaming incoherent things, then he just broke down as he the black body bag. 

When I walked into my Aunts house later that night she told me she'd talk to me after I showered. I walked straight to the bathroom and took my blood stained clothes off. The lukewarm water hit me as I watched the water by my feet mix with red I couldn't help but break down again. 

I just couldn't believe he was gone.

The funeral was held days before I had to return to Philly, I held Crystal as she cried. August had been quiet throughout the whole funeral only shedding a few tears. He hadn't talked to anyone and when it was over he was the first person to leave.

When I returned back to Philly I had tried texting and calling him when I talked to Crystal a couple months afterwards she said he had packed up and moved to Atlanta. I was upset by the fact I would probably never hear or see him ever again.

Or so I thought.

Hey guys, thanks for all the great comments. I believe someone commented is the girl Jazmine, Jazmine Sullivan? Yes she is, she's also the cover of the book, the song in the last chapter it's called 'Good enough' and it's by her. 

This chapter was really weird to write, I teared up writing it to as if I was there lol. Next chapter is in the present though, August and Jaz are all grown let's see what happens between the two.

What did you guys think about this chapter though? I realize it's a little short but the next chapter will be longer I promise.

Sad to see Mel go?