1.

C H A P T E R 1

N I A L L

I groan, stretching my arms above my head. I peek one eye open but close it quickly, the sunlight too bright for my eyes. I rub my face with my palms and reach out for the horrendous sounding alarm from my phone on the bedside table.

I shut the stupid alarm off, taking a peek at the time and see that I have about 45 minutes to get ready before I need to get to work. I scoff at Rufus, his adorable yet so ugly face scrunching up as he yawns, before curling at the bottom of the bed. I watch him look up at me, his ears perking upwards.

"Good morning, Ruff," I mumble, stretching down towards Rufus and petting his head gently before sitting up completely. He purrs at my lost contact with and I chuckle lightly before getting out of the comfortable and warm bed.

"Yeah, I would like to stay here as well." I watch as Rufus stretches before getting more comfortable in the middle of the bed now that I am not in it anymore. I guess that's my cue to get ready, thanks Ruff for the invitation back to bed.

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

"I'm going to work now, Ruff. Don't break anything." I say as I close the front door to my apartment, getting out my keys to lock up the apartment.

"Morning, dear." I turn my head over to Mrs White and a smile breaks out on my face.

"Goodmorning, Mrs White. You look lovely today." I smile a cheeky smile towards the elderly woman, her brown eyes shining with happiness.

Mrs White is a 78 year old lady who lives in the apartment next to me. Her husband died four years ago, so she moves into this apartment next to mine. She is a precious old lady who has the biggest heart. I try to at least once a week help her out. I help her go to the grocery store and clean. It's not much, but it makes her smile and that's enough for me to feel happy.

"Now, darling. What have I told you," Mrs White playfully scolds me and I let out a laugh. "Saying Mrs White makes me feel old. Call me Mary." Mrs White tells me, patting my shoulder. I smile, bending down slightly to press a small kiss to her cheek.

"Won't happen again, Mary." I wink before glancing at my watch. I tell Mrs White I need to go and that I will bring back freshly baked bread from the coffee shop later on. Mrs White only smiles at me as usual, her eyes shining brightly.

I make my way outside, the cold crisp spring air hitting my face and I pull down my beanie to cover my ears. The sun is shining, no cloud in sight and I sigh blissfully.

It is approximately a ten minute walk to the coffee shop, so I plug in my headphones and start walking. I could have asked Louis if I could take our shared car but I know he needs the car way more than I do. I smile happily to myself, enjoying how my ears are blessed by Lewis Capaldi's Bruises.

I'm nearly at the coffee shop, walking casually past the university like I usually do every morning like this. I stumble backwards, almost tripping over my own feet as the person who ran straight into me stumbles slightly as well. The lad doesn't stop though, he only keeps on running towards the big entrance of the university.

"Sorry, mate!" Can be heard from the curly headed lad and I scoff, raising my eyebrows before I start walking again. Some people. I walk over the street and around the corner of a building, finally seeing the coffee shop's entrance. I start to slightly run, feeling how cold my cheeks and nose are.