Fir

Time.

Life's most fragile yet sought after commodity.

No one knows just how much time they are allotted on earth. How many hours, days, months or years they'll get to spend with their loved ones.

No one knows any of this for sure.

The only thing we do know, in the cold and cruel world is that, when you love someone...like really love them, no amount of time is ever enough.

"What time do you have?" Spencer asks me for like the tenth time.

"Half past two. Why do you keep asking me the time?" I ask her in a suspicious tone. Ever since I got here, two hours ago, Spencer has been asking me the time every twenty minutes.

"And you're sure today is the fourth right?" She asks with a smile.

"Yes, Spencer." I nod my head. "Are you gonna tell me what this is about?" I ask and she shakes her head.

"Well I'm not gonna just sit here while you count down the minutes until I have to leave." I tell her standing up from the bench.

"What time is it now?" She asks and I sigh as I look down at my watch. Two-thirty-one." I tell her in a sort of annoyed tone.

She smiles and stands up from the bench. "Happy birthday, Glen." She says to no one in particular. I look around to see if I see any other ghostly figures walking around but no... it's just us. It usually is on a Monday afternoon.

"Who's Glen?" I question and she opens her eyes and her smile gets impossibly brighter.

"He's my older brother." She tells me, walking over to a row a Fir flowers. "He was born at 2:31p.m twenty-three years ago today." She has her back to me but I can hear the joy in her voice as she remembers him.

"Spencer." I call her name and she turns around to face me.

"Hmm?"

"How come you never talk about your family to me?" I ask and she purses her lips together. "I mean, I'm only asking because we've hung out for over a month now and all we talk about are flowers. I really don't know anything about you." I point out.

"You're right." She nods and turns back around.

"Do you have to work today?" She asks and I shake my head, realizing she has her back turned so she can't see me.

"No." I speak up.

"Well, do you have time to listen to a boring story about Spencer Carlin's life?" She asks, turning around with a Fir flower in her hand.

"Yes." I nod and smile. "I love boring stories." I add and we both share a grin.

"What does this one mean?" She asks, walking over to me and handing me the flower.

"Time." I tell her and she smiles wider, if possible.

"How befitting."

"Ashley there's nothing you can do." Madison tells me as I pace around her apartment. After finding out the news about Spencer, I called her and told her that we needed to talk. I need to come up with a game plan to stop them from doing this.

"Madison, that's not helping." I tell her and she sighs.

"I know. But you need to hear it. They're her parent's, Ash."