Elijah

The hum of mumbling voices ceased the instant the music began, a slow, climbing song that reflected the warmth of the summer around them in its soft notes. Elijah held his position, facing forward away from the aisle as the bridal party approached. A flutter of nerves in his stomach.

Each bridesmaid walked to his side and gave him a hug, kiss on the cheek or hand squeeze before taking her seat, he thanked each one silently with a bob of his head and a small smile. Sariyah was the last as Lucia's maid of honour, she kissed his cheek, pinched his chin and grinned widely.

Under his breath he whispered, "Thank you for all your help."

"Don't mention it." She replied with a wink and took her place on the opposite side among the bridesmaids.

At the sound of the orchestra reaching the climax of the song he turned slowly on his heel to look upon his bride for the first time. Every guest stood to attention as she entered the hall. As expected, she was a vision in white: elegant and delicate, gliding towards him accompanied by Reginald. Elijah knew she was beautiful but even he was in shock at the sight. No one in the room could compare to her. He recognised the dress immediately as a combination of his choice from the catalogue with a fair amount of modernisation and tailored to fit her small curves immaculately. That was typical of his mother, she didn't do 'off the rack', everything had to be custom. It did suit her perfectly though with a high neck and flaring material from her knees, high-quality satin with delicate lace and intricate beading covering her almost entirely, only her toned arms were bare. Elijah swore to himself that he could admire Lucia all day, could watch her put one dainty foot in front of the other for hours, anything to hold this moment for as long as possible.

Beneath her veil he could see her curls bouncing with every step and her eyes flickering timidly from her feet to the altar and then to the audience surrounding her and finally to Elijah, locking eyes with him and smiling gently. He smiled back in the knowledge it was not physically possible for him to convey in one smile just how beautiful she looked, how happy he was and how precious this day would be.

She was finally within touching distance, stepping up to the altar beside him. Reginald shook his hand and took his seat. Elijah let the lining of her veil graze his fingertips before raising it slowly to look upon his bride's perfect face.

~

"Ladies and gentleman, please join me in welcoming the happy couple to the ballroom: Mr and Mrs Elijah Bonnet!"

Lucia hung from his arm as he led them out into the ballroom to greet the family and friends deemed important enough to attend what was the clan's version of a royal wedding. Elijah smiled and gave small waves to the faces he recognised on his way to the dance floor. The crowd followed, encircling them in anticipation for their first dance as a married couple. They left them plenty of room to dance in but the amount of eyes watching them could be unnerving to Lucia, he took her face between his hands and kissed her once on the lips and her attention was instantly focused solely on him.

Elijah took his bride in his arms and awaited the start of the music.

I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream...

Lucia barely managed to stifle her giggle as Elijah began to lead her about the floor.

"Did you pick this?" She whispered.

I know you, that look in your eyes is so familiar, a gleam...

"Do you like it?" He asked, worried now that he had chosen with poor taste for their history.

And I know it's true, that visions are seldom all they seem...

"Yes." She laughed quietly, leaning into him more as they danced slowly in time with the music. "It fits us perfectly."