Chapter Eleven

It had been over a week and I still hadn’t been able to bring myself to tell Trent that Jake was living in my apartment. I knew that it was awful and that if having Jake living with me wasn’t a big deal then I shouldn’t be so terrified to tell Trent, but I knew what his reaction would be.

          I also couldn’t help but to think back to events over the week.

          Tuesday I had a midterm in Political Science that had been much harder than I expected and if I had to guess then I would assume that I had failed. I returned to the apartment immediately after, feeling tense and stressed I sat down on the couch with my head in my hands.

          “Hey.” Jake’s voice sounded from behind me.

          “Hey.” I mumbled in response, not looking up.

          “Didn’t do so hot on that midterm, huh?” He asked, voice directly over my shoulder. I felt strangely touched that he remembered me mentioning it the night before during the movie that we’d all watched together.

          “No.” I murmured. He was silent for a few long moments and then I felt his huge hands on my shoulder, hot and strong as he gently began to rub them, the rough pads of his fingers gently resting on the bare skin of my collar bone.

          “What are you doing?” I asked him in a shaky voice as heat gathered in my stomach and traveled lower at his touch.

          “Just relax.” He murmured, his thumbs pushing slightly harder, getting deeper into my tight muscles. I slowly leaned back, tilting my head against the back of the couch and opening my eyes as I stared up at him.

          Something strange passed through his dark eyes and then there was nothing. “Close your eyes, Princess.” He murmured, the right side of his mouth tugging up into that sexy crooked grin. I obliged because I knew that if I kept staring up into his handsome face that I would do something stupid.

          Like kiss him.

          That shoulder rub put me to sleep minutes later.

          On Wednesday I couldn’t stop thinking about his touch on my shoulders and feeling hot every time that I did. I got home at about 9:00 that night, having spent the whole day after class with Trent to assuage my guilt.

          “Finally.” Jake had muttered, looking up from the table when I walked in the door. “I was beginning to think that you were avoiding me.”

          “Nope.” I replied, grinning as I walked over and looked at what he was working on. I couldn’t help the grin that fell over my lips as I saw what he was doing. “Jake Wade, doing Calculus homework. Never thought I’d see the day.”

          He looked up at me with a dry grin on his lips. “I have classes too, Kyle.”