Chapter Eight

“He’s staring at you.” Trent stated in an icy voice, his lips against my ear. Yeah, thank you Captain Obvious. Like I couldn’t feel every caress of Jake’s gaze, his eyes all over me turning my stomach to liquid molten.

          “Well, ignore him.” I replied a little bit too chipper. I had dressed the way that I knew Trent liked in an expensive, maroon cashmere sweater and a modest, dark blue, plaid mini skirt. My blond hair was perfectly straight and smooth with a thin, dainty head band. I looked every bit like the entitled princess that everyone seemed to want me to be.

          “So, what time is your party at tonight?” I asked him happily. I had spent the past week being the all-time best girlfriend. I was with Trent every single night and I barely spoke to Jake.

          I knew that he wasn’t happy with my distant, cold act that I had put on, barely glancing at him. I wasn’t really all too happy about it either. Jake was fun and he was obviously lonely. I wished that things were easier, that we could be friends, but that wasn’t going to work out, and the sooner we accepted that the easier it would be for both of us.

          “6:00.” He replied, still unhappy. I was sitting at his frat’s lunch table, like I had every day for the past week, because Lucy sat with Conner… where Jake sat. It’s not that I didn’t like Trent’s frat. They were always polite to me, but they were just… boring. Dry. Preppy rich boys with bright futures and even brighter polo shirts. They loved pastels more than even my mother.

          “Perfect.” I grinned, forcing excitement into my voice at the thought of another stupid frat party. “I bought a new dress.”

          “Did you?” Trent asked, meeting my gaze and looking thrilled at the fact that I put forward an effort. In his eyes I could see it all, his adoration and love for me that made guilt twist my gut. I’d never had to worry about his loyalty and I never would.

          “Yes. It’s red.” I grinned up at him, as always glad to see him happy. He had been so grumpy for the past couple of weeks.

          “Perfect.” Trent smiled, sliding his hand down my arm. The rest of lunch passed with Trent in a better mood, joking with his friends and talking about his all-time favorite subject, politics, while I sat at his side, smiling and nodding when appropriate though besides that I was completely silent.

          I excused myself from the table, feeling much better now that Trent was happy though, for some inexplicable reason, I felt extremely tired and worn down.

          “Wow.”

          I gritted my teeth and turned to face the frustrating and huge man to my right. “What?” I snapped at his arrogant and knowing smirk.

          “You should see yourself.” He replied, leaning against the wall of the hallway and grinning like the devil. “If I hadn’t seen it myself I wouldn’t believe that there’s a real girl inside of… this.” He stated, gesturing to my outfit.