Chapter 14

As I peered up at Eric in the hallway I decided I was going to find out what he was up to but not at the moment because, frankly, he just looked flat out stressed right now and the side of me that wants to figure out what's going on is being overpowered by the need to comfort my mate. I slowly walk over to him and wrap my arms around his waist and snuggle into his chest. He doesn't move a muscle, so I begin to trace little circles on his back and lightly traced my fingers across the tense muscles protruding from his back. I then begin to pepper light kisses on his chest as I feel his body relax under my touch I end my actions with a light smile and take a step back only to be pulled back to him by his strong arms. Since I wasn't expecting him to pull me towards him I tense up until I feel Eric nuzzle his head into the crook of my neck and sniff me. I chuckle at the feeling and wrap my arms around his torso and I pull back slightly so I can look him in the eye.

"What was that for?"

"I could ask you the same question." He replies cheekily.

I roll my eyes at him and he grins in return but curiosity killed the cat. "What's wrong? I came in and you sounded angry on the phone with someone." I feel him tense up slightly at my words but I begin to trace circles on his back again and he sighs.

"What did you hear?" He asked in a strictly business tone and his eyes were void of any emotion. I wonder what's making him act like this.

"I didn't hear anything, I swear, but you sounded pissed and based off your reaction, it's bad." I stated bluntly. As I said this, his face went from impassive to calm and warming.

"It's just pack stuff, so you don't have to worry about it." He said.

"Actually, I do because as the Beta's mate I need to be filled in on what is going on with the pack in case something happens to you. I don't think the pack would enjoy having a completely oblivious Beta female." The thought of anything happening to him was completely depressing but for me to not know the reason behind it would kill me.

He closed his eyes and sighed, but when he opened them he looked like he was suffering. "Nothing is going to happen to me," he lightly traced his thumb over my cheek "but we do need to talk about the whole mates thing." At this I tensed up.

He's going to reject me. He used me to live in my house and now he's going to reject me.

I began to internally panic but on the outside I was a brick wall, besides the fact that I was extremely tense in his arms. He looked down at me with pain and anger in his eyes and un-wrapped his arms from our everlasting hug. He took my hand in his as if it would break if he applied too much pressure and guided me to the living room sofa. We sat down facing each other and simultaneously we let out a deep, stress-filled, breath to help us relax. Throughout all of this he stilled refused to release my hand.

He finally spoke up," Just to be clear, I'm not going to reject you; however, I won't accept you either." I had smiled at the beginning of his mini speech but by the end of it my smile was replaced by confusion.

The questions began to flood out of my mouth before I could even filter them, "That doesn't make sense, why wouldn't you accept me? Am I really that bad? Do you hate rogues so much that you can't stand to be with one?"

He had a look of guilt in his eyes and right then and there I wanted to lock myself in my room and cry myself to sleep, but my wolf was being too stubborn; she wanted to hear him out. I waited for his answer with my face void of any emotions just as he did only a couple minutes earlier.

"There's nothing wrong with you," I gave him a look as he cleared his throat and shifted uncomfortably as the memory of our first encounter clouded his brain "okay so our first encounter wasn't great, but a werewolf of my rank would have some issues of their mate being a rogue having dealt with too many bad case scenarios with them don't ya think?"

It's true, I mean, how could I possibly forget that as a Beta he has to have encountered many vicious and relentless rogues. I mentally shudder at the thought of all the injuries and near deaths he has probably gone through for the safety of the pack. In defeat my only response was to nod at him and urge him to continue.

With a triumphant smile he nods, almost as if he were saying alright then, and continues, "I don't want to accept you, yet, because I have too many enemies out there that will try to use you against me and we both know how the mate pull works. It'll blind side me if I need to save you or my pack and I want to make sure you're completely out of harm's way before we start our lives together. I know it's not ideal or traditional and it pains me to say this, but will you please just cooperate with me?"

He actually wanted m- us! I knew it!

I understood what he was trying to do, but did I agree with it? No. Do I know why he's doing it? No, but I will eventually. I looked him in the eye, took a deep breath and said, "I'll cooperate, but under one condition."

He smiled but his eyes looked wary of what my condition was, "Depends what it is."

"You have to buy your own groceries. I'm not about to go bankrupt because of you." I said with a playful glare and poked his torso. He let out the most beautiful laugh and nodded as he did so, "Yes, I'll be sure to buy my own groceries for your sake sweetheart."

I blushed slightly at his little nickname as he pulled me into a one sided hug and ruffled my hair. This is going to be interesting. ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I'm back! I thought this chapter was gonna take longer but thanks to nothing to do at school or work I was able to finish it!It may not be long but it got what I wanted to in this chapter. I hope you guys like it(: Hopefully me having a new laptop will help me upload chapters a little quicker but no promises. You guys know what to do:

COMMENT...

VOTE...

FAN!!!! <3