Chapter 8: Darkness Looms in Light, So Do Hollows

Hollows were unpredictable. They thought differently from each other despite having the same desire and thought processes. The way they choose to... feed... as entirely unique to each hollow, and that made them difficult to fight at times. To eat, to survive, the soul reapers never truly know their intentions except to devour every spiritual being to their heart's content. They were selfish and greedy, the definition of cruel evil. They could not be simply ruled over, not even the Espadas Grimmjow and Nelliel had any authority over them despite being the highest order within Hueco Mundo. Those spiritual creatures had animalistic instincts of sorts, only wanting to eat and eat and eat. They did what they wanted whenever they wanted. Unless they had a specific goal in mind, hollows almost never rally together.

As a result of these instincts, the looming figures of these invisible brings were not strange to see on a weekly basis. Unknown yet known, only those that could see knew of their unintended destruction that came with their chase for spirits. Zeryu alone saw them on a daily basis, spotting the occasional soul reaper chasing the hides of the masked monsters with their zanpakuto in tow.

Although these days, the sightings of these creatures became more apparent than not. Even if her Master wouldn't tell her the happenings in the spiritual world, she knew something was up but proceeded not to pester for details. For now, the shinigamis seemed to be in control.

SCREEEECH!

The redhead lifted her head casually to the sky in search of the source of the noise, immediately spotting the hollow a few hundred meters away from them. Gripping her bokken slightly tighter than normal, the female was unsure of whether she should pursue the creature or not. The gaze of familiar red ruby eyes staring at her face with surprising intensity told her it would not be so easy to get away for even a split moment. The blonde being who he was, probably had sensed her relentless uneasiness.

He was not the type of boyfriend that would abandon a loved one when he notices something is "off" about them. If anything, he was both the best and the worst of them all.

"Hey Zeryu! Don't worry about it! Me and Yumichika got this all sorted!"

The reassurance from a fellow soul reaper made her body relax involuntarily, seeing two figures in uniform parkour through the sky with practiced ease. A bald head and a flashy male made almost a sliver of laughter escape her lips, oddly finding their silliness a relief despite the destruction they were known for causing. Any worries she had depleted quickly at spotting several other shinigamis from the bruteful squad followed behind the two seated soul reapers seconds later in hot pursuit of the troublesome hollow.

Ikkaku and Yumichika are here... that's good, they should be able to take care of it.

While she did notice the other several presences prancing about the city, Zeryu decided it was a question to be asked in her next training session with Master Zenbosu. Usually a small group of soul reapers would defend a town or city, from five to ten at most. However, she was seeing about ten or so on the battlefield and more lurking in the shadows of the city.

There were two options to consider. A problem was occurring in the Soul Society, or Master Zenbosu had other ideas.

She hoped he had no plans to put her against them in their regular training session. Considering they had been downsized to two times a week, Zenbosu might be considering rising the difficulty of her battles. That didn't sound so fun.

It sounds close to torture actually...

"Oi dumb-ass."

A hand shot out from nowhere, grabbing a hold of her collar and tugging her downwards to meet a pair of angry eyes. Blinking in response to the action, she recovered quickly and cheekily placed her lips on the male's before he could peek another word from that foul mouth. It was short and passionate, just enough for her to sense his annoyance at her lack of attention.