Chapter 9

Walking back into my inherited office, I hugged my father. He hugged back, understanding what I must be feeling. The embrace didn’t last long before he let go and looked at me holding my shoulders.

“No time to rest mayor, you have a lot of work to do.” He said, making sure I understood my responsibilities.

I took a second to gather my thoughts before getting down to work.

“Adam, I need you to organise a refugee camp, find any resources you can to make tents and beds for the newcomers.” I said, looking at Adam. Once he had left to do his job, I directed my attention to the guards. “You two. I want you to make sure there is no conflict and everyone enters the dome safely, and also get some spare doctors on hand for the people who need the help, tell them it’s direct orders from the mayor.” They nodded and left the room, “Dad, I need you to keep an eye on the teleporters, if you can do that…”

“Sure thing son” he said before running to his duty.

My job was simple. Make sure the plan runs smoothly, I thought as I walked briskly from the building and into the square. People were flooding into the dome and were obviously dumbstruck by the community we had. I spotted some people I knew walking through the portals, like the “crazy cat lady” from down the road, carrying 4 cat baskets, to which the guards helped her carry. All was going good.

“JAKE! JAKE!” shouted a familiar voice

Looking to the right, I spotted Rose running to me, but it wasn’t joy on her face, which concerned me. First, she embraced me before looking at me again concerned.

“What’s up?” I said, addressing the concern.

“It’s Mattie. She’s still outside. She won’t have heard the announcement. Since you left, she’s been really weird, no-one really saw her apart from in lessons. She won’t answer her phone and her parents haven’t seen her properly in days.”

My mind was alert again. Adrenaline pumped through me, making my heart pound strongly against my chest. I knew what I had to do.

Running, I made my way to the science facility where I knew I’d find my father. I felt like a cheetah, speeding past civilians at a lightning speed. The facility was in sight. I changed my direction to the nearest man in a white coat.

“HEY! HEY!” I shouted trying to gain the man’s attention.

“Mayor?” He looked, confused.

“I need access to your facility, quickly, I need Melvin Gardner. It’s highly urgent”

“Right, take this pass, you’ll find him in lab B1” he said, handing me a white card

“Thanks, I’m in your debt!” I said running towards the glass doors

Flashing the card on the display, I ran through the doors, knocking a couple of scientists off balance as I sprinted down the hall, calling sorry to them. I led myself to the lab with the signs provided, much like a hospital. Storming into the lab, I went straight for the figure of my father.

“Dad. I need help. I need to go outside using the portals. Can you transport me? I need to go to the centre of town, quickly!”

“I can’t allow you to do that, it’s too dangerous.”

“Ok. I order you to open a portal for me to go outside.”

The man looked deflated before realising my authority and caving in.

“Right. Ok. Your mother would kill me, but orders are orders. I’ll open it but you aren’t going in there without this.”

He handed me a communication device which I’d seen the guards wear. Putting it on, I tested the connection. A portal opened in the room. I was about to run in when my dad stopped me.

“Wait! Before you go in, take this, it’s the middle of bloody winter out there,” throwing his coat at me, “And for god’s sake be careful and don’t do anything stupid!”

I looked at his concerned eyes as he stared at me.

“I’ll be back. Don’t worry.” I said, smiling, before jumping into the portal and into the abyss.