Part 2- Last Dream of My Soul

"I wish you to know that you have been the last dream of my soul."

“I’m sorry Miss Gray. I don’t know what Cecily led you to believe about our staffing, but we are currently not in need of any new employees.”

Tessa pinched the bridge of her nose and let out a sigh of frustration, her eyes squeezing shut and then reopening. This conversation had been going back and forth for ten minutes already. 

“The girl that works here—Cecily—said you would love to have another set of hands, as the current staff here is working longer hours than usual.” 

When she had arrived at the café—on time, no thanks to Will—and ready to start her first day of work, the manager had frowned at her from behind the counter and led her to the office in the back of the store. And here she was, practically pleading with the manager to let her start work. 

“Look, I’m really sorry for the miscommunication Miss Gray, but we’ve been making some serious cutbacks due to a tight budget and we simply cannot afford another employee.”

The petite manager looked at Tessa with pity in her eyes, a frown twisting around the corners of her lips.  

The resolve drained out of Tessa and she took a deep breath, giving the manager a strained, tight-lipped smile. “It’s fine. Really. Thank you for your time.” Tessa stood up, pushing her chair back, and began to gather up her papers strewn across the desk. 

Tessa hurried out of the small, cramped office space, lost in thoughts of jobs, money, rent, Will—

She shook her head violently, causing her curls to bounce, in an attempt to clear her mind. As she left the small café, breathing in the crisp evening air of the city, she made the executive decision to walk back to her cheap, crappy apartment instead of hailing a cab. The sun began to set over the horizon, painting the sky in hues of blush and gold, and the sounds of the city floated in and out of Tessa’s ears. But try as she might, Tessa couldn’t shake the encounter in the library out of her mind. Will's brilliant midnight blue eyes haunted her all the way back to her apartment. 

After settling into her one-bedroom apartment, Tessa, in a futile last attempt to clear her ever-racing mind, flopped down on her bed and curled into the blankets, a book in hand. As the minutes ticked by, Tessa’s eyes scanning over the same paragraph again and again, she heaved out a frustrated sigh and decided to retire early. Classes began at seven in the morning anyhow and it had been a long day. 

Tessa slowly drifted into sleep, dreaming of books and Will Herondale.