CHAPTER EIGHT: Felix and Fish

A/N - Ahh, almost at a hundred reads! I think this is probably the biggest achievement of my life. :(: Also, I would like to thank GeorgiaColman for shouting Perdita out on her Instagram. You should definitely go follow her - her Insta username: @georgia.colman. Anyway, I hope you enjoy!

~~~

The campfire party had continued on late into the night, only finishing when the youngest boys were drooping whilst they danced and the even the older ones were trying desperately to muffle their yawns. All the while, Peter had played his wistful music constantly for hours without so much as a pause for air. The Lost Boys had still given me the occasional glance but I felt that they were becoming used to my blissfully unobtrusive presence in the corner as the night progressed.

Felix and I had sat next to each other without so much as a single utterance all night, and for some reason, maybe it was the hazy light or the entrancing melody, I didn't feel scared. If anything, the boy seemed to be less noticeable than I was, camouflaged as he was against the shadows of the forest in his dark attire. I barely perceived his proximity all night. He left me alone with my thoughts and I left him with his.

Eventually though, Peter drew the flute away from his lips, tucking it somewhere in a pocket of his oversized clothing. He authoritatively announced that it was time for bed before taking a few steps to his right and vanishing into thin air, not a trace left behind. This feat ceased to amaze me but I supposed that if I was to be spending a lot of time in Neverland, I would eventually become acclimatised to it.

Upon Pan's command, Felix stood robotically and proceeded to amble into one of the little bays of wooden huts, where I guessed he lived. He didn't even look at me, let alone speak to me, but I gathered that he had somewhat enjoyed that night as he'd stayed by my side infallibly the whole time.

Realising that I was one of the last at the campfire - apart from a few boys who were cleaning up the mess left from the evening, I jumped up too quickly, my legs seizing up after so long remaining in the same position, and I had to awkwardly limp my way back to my tent. Once I had finally reached it, I pulled open the door and practically fell straight into bed, not even bothering to undress and find suitable sleeping wear - too tired to even care. I slept solidly through the night, to my pleasure, and woke the next morning feeling agreeably refreshed and clear-headed.

The sun had just risen above the trees by the looks of the sky, and the sounds of children milling about the camp could be heard just beyond my door. What I thought was odd though, was the fact that still there were no bird noises like the ones on the beach. To my understanding, birds are usually in their element in the dawn hours. Maybe the boys had scared them off; they were extremely loud, after all.

I had just begun to search through the wardrobe after rolling out of bed - I wasn't sure what I would be doing that day but it was best to be prepared - when a knock came. At first, I was astounded. Surely I must have imagined it. Who would be knocking at my door? But when it received no answer, the knock sounded again, just two light raps against the timber of the door.

"Uhhh... hello?" I asked, confused. Who could this possibly be? Not Peter, surely. Or at least, I hoped not.

"Perdita. I, uh, just came to come and get you. I mean, to, uh, take you to the lake. For fish. To get fish. Pan told me to get fish with you." It was Felix. A very inelegant Felix, at that. I was relieved, at least it wasn't Peter, but still, how strange.

He paused a moment, appearing to collect up his thoughts, before clarifying: "Fishing. We're going fishing. To catch fish."