CHAPTER FIVE: The Woman in the Waves

A/N - This chapter is up late because of the fact my hands won't stop shaking so it's really hard to type, sorry. 😅

~~~

The inside of my tent had turned out to be remarkably similar to the room I had woken up in earlier that day. In fact, they must have been built under the same design.

It held the same cosy bed and wardrobe, with the same unvarnished walls, probably the standard accommodations for the residents of the camp.

Upon entering, the first thing I had done was burst dramatically and unnecessarily into tears. Ugly tears. The sort that make you curl up and rock in a corner. Not fun.

I don't know why. The stress and emotional taxation must have been too much, but until that point, I hadn't felt the need in to cry or even allow just a few tears escape. But the ragged, ferocious sobs that ripped through my chest and choked up my throat weren't something I could ignore now. The moment I had shut the door behind me, concealing myself from the Lost Ones, a great wall of emotion has hit me square in the face. So much for just Felix and Peter's emotions being temperamental.

Once I had finished with my not-quite-so-little weeping jag, I noticed the sun outside my window had flushed the sky a deep cerise, signalling the closing of another day.

Already? How long had I been passed out earlier? I must have missed at least half the day. But why? I was convinced that Peter had knocked me out, what other explanation was there? And it had been done so effortlessly, almost without thought. He had waved his hand gently before my eyes, and moments later, I was a collapsed heap, curled up in Felix's arms. But if Peter and the boys had been so dead-set on capturing and imprisoning me, why was I suddenly allowed the same privileges as everyone else? And if I had been unconscious for hours, that left plenty of opportunity to cause me harm when I was at my most vulnerable. If they'd stuck me in a cage without reason, surely that meant they bore me no good will. So why was I still unscathed?

These questions flew about my brain like a storm of angry birds, twittering and squawking in the most nuisance manner possible, so I couldn't help but ponder them over and over again. Still nothing made sense.

Defeated, I resolved that finding answers to those questions would be a right-sight harder if I was dead on my feet from exhaustion. The sun and had set, meaning it was time for bed. I could at least keep my sleep schedule intact even if everything else was falling apart.

I settled in, snuggling down deep into the blankets, confident with the knowledge that the boys had not harmed me whilst I slept before, and they probably wouldn't now. I didn't trust any of them, not in the slightest, but concluded I could probably make it through the night without finding myself in a face-off with them. A face I would unequivocally lose. I fell deeply asleep almost immediately, which was odd, considering the amount of things on my mind.

Whilst I slept, I dreamed.

I was back in the forest, like the previous day, only this time, I knew where I was going, I wasn't stinking around blind in the middle of the night.

I was rushing towards one set goal, racing the clock to reach it. My real self had no idea what that target was, I only knew that if I didn't reach it in time, the consequences would be disastrous.

I also knew that I was being followed by something twice as quick as me and infinitely more dangerous. This thing was after me and wasn't slowing down. It raced through the forest, just out of reach behind me, giving chase like a lion to an antelope. Not an ideal situation, really.

Branches swung about, scratching my arms and grazing my legs as a darted past, leaving little cuts all over me, but I didn't care. My mind could only focus on finding my destination, like it was the only thing I had to live for.