Chapter 27

Draco woke up in Harry's arms. He thought that he would be used to it by now but it still made him smile. Though, the smile faltered when he thought about last night. Draco had been surprisingly honest with Harry. Why? Was he actually starting to feel like he could completely trust Harry? But something had felt off. Harry had said something about luck...

Shit. That potion! Draco wasn't exactly sure how it worked on other people, but if Harry wanted Draco to be more open, that potion would make that happen. Obviously, the potion wasn't meant for Draco. Harry had gotten something from Slughorn, so, he must have been the target. Draco had just gotten caught in the crossfire. Plus, Draco hadn't said a lot. Harry still didn't know he was a Deatheater. That's all that mattered. Everything was fine. He didn't want to ruin what they had because of something so small.

****

The worst thing that could have happened, happened to Draco. He got a summoning from his mother. She wanted him to come home for the weekend to talk. His stomach was tied in knots and he felt like he was going to be sick. It must have been written all over his face because Blaise gave him a worried look.

"What is it?" Blaise asked.

"My mum wants me to come home for the weekend to talk."

"Bloody hell, that can't be good."

Panic was starting to settle in and Draco's breath was becoming shallower. "Blaise, I can't go back. If it was anything like this summer—I don't think I can handle it. Blaise—"

"Deep breaths, mate," Blaise put his hand on Draco's shoulder. "Maybe it has nothing to do with him. Maybe it's about your father."

"Or they found about Harry and me." Draco got to his feet. "I've got to go."

Draco rushed out the doors, having no intention of going to his classes.

****

Harry watched as Draco rushed out of the Great Hall. He looked like he was going to have a panic attack. Harry was about to follow him when Ron pulled him into a conversation.

"Are you ready for this weekend's Quidditch match?"

"What?" Harry looked at his friend.

"I think it will be an easy match," Ron continued.

"Ron—"

"Ravenclaw hasn't won a single match this season."

"Are you okay, Harry?" Hermione interrupted, jabbing Ron in the side. "You look a bit pale."

"I just realized I left my Potions' essay in my room. I'm going to go and grab it. See you, guys." Harry was out of his seat before they could say a word.

****

Draco decided that it would be better to leave before classes than risk running into Harry. Harry would see right through him and Draco wouldn't be able to explain what was wrong with him or why he had to go home. Instead, he wrote a quick note saying he would be back Monday and left it on Harry's desk. He was about to leave with his trunk in hand when Harry came through the door.

"What are you doing here?" Draco asked, trying and failing to hide his trunk behind his legs.

"Looking for you. What happened?" Harry stepped closer and then noticed the trunk. "Where are you going?"

"Home," Draco tried to sound nonchalant. "Just for the weekend."

Harry looked up at him, worry etched in his features. "Why? Draco—"

"I'm sure it's not a big deal," he stepped around Harry so his back was to the door. "It's probably about my dad."

"Draco—"

He gave him a kiss that he hoped wouldn't be the last. "I'll see you Monday."

****

Draco followed Snape to Dumbledore's office to use his floo fireplace. Dumbledore wasn't around so Snape had to escort him. Draco had been avoiding Snape (as much as he could) and didn't like being alone with him.

"I think it's important that you know that I didn't tell him anything," Snape replied, breaking the silence between them. "Whatever your mother and he want to talk about, it has nothing to do with me."

Draco nodded and he felt a bit relieved. Even if Pansy had told the Dark Lord anything, he wouldn't believe her. It would be Snape's word that he would believe above all else. Maybe this wouldn't be as bad of a trip as he thought.

"Though, you should be aware that your fellow housemates haven't been as kind." They stopped in front of the fireplace. "Be smart."

Draco nodded again. He didn't dare speak, afraid that his voice would give away how terrified he was.

Snape put his hand on Draco's shoulder. "I know I have been hard on you in the past but it was for your own good. I would never wish ill for you."

Draco didn't know if he believed that but forced out, "thanks."

Snape stepped back and Draco stepped in the fireplace with a handful of floo powder. He said his destination and threw the powder on the ground. He stepped out of the fireplace in the Malfoy Manor and froze. The Dark Lord was sitting in an armchair with Nagini curled in his lap.

"Ah, Draco," his smile sent a shiver down Draco's spine. "So glad you could make it. I need to speak with you."