Chapter 12

After having slipped out the tavern without being immediately recognized and forced back into my 'bedroom' at the inn, I carefully navigated my way towards the dock with only the light of the moon to guide me. I prayed that the Captain hadn't found the body, that I could reach him before he noticed, but I also knew how fanciful that idea truly was. Still, I couldn't help but to sprinted down the street in the direction of the ship, which I could see bobbing gently on the sea. I was just about to reach the dock, when I was seized by a pair of hands which dragged me down a small alley and pinned me against the wall, an arm pushing against my throat and a hand covering my mouth. I stopped struggling once I identified my assailant as the Captain! He slowly removed the hand covering my mouth and brought it to his in a sign to be quiet. 
"It's too late." He started. "I found the body." It was an exasperated tone, not one I would have expected from someone who had just discovered their friend to be dead. 
I was about to protest when he replaced his hand over my mouth and said "I know, I know. It wasn't you." I sagged in relief. "You're too simple to think up anything as intricate as poisoning." He said it so calmly it was as though he hadn't realized he had said it out loud and had only meant to think it. The little smirk he then gave me suggested otherwise. 
I glared at him which only made him laugh.
He continued. "I have dealt with the body, but this isn't good. Someone amongst my crew is trying to get you killed."
"I suppose we can guess who? Is this enough now to get rid of him?" I asked.
"If you can give me hard evidence that it was him, then of course I would, but you can't so stop." He started walking towards the tavern.
"Wait. Not a single person walked past, was it really necessary to pin me against the wall?"
"I couldn't be certain that someone wouldn't walk past and besides," he turned around to face me, smiling and winked. "It was more intimate this way." He turned back around and started strolling casually back to the tavern.
I scowled and muttered beneath my breath "Dirty pirate." I hesitated waiting for a sign that he'd heard my remark, but he just continued so I assumed he didn't and followed after him.
He was just about to open the tavern door when I grabbed his arm remembering something. "In order for me to escape, I had to - well - you see - I -"
"What?" He inquired impatiently.
"I had to knock out two of your crew members." I blurted out. 
He closed his eyes and rubbed his hand down his face, sighing deeply, then, pinching the bridge of his nose said "You don't like to make things easy for me, do you?"
I smiled awkwardly. 
"Alright," He continued placing his hand on the door ready to open it. "I'll deal with it." Before I knew what was happening, the Captain yelled for his men to return to the ship and the tavern was empty in a matter of seconds. "Where are my unconscious men?" He asked and I told him. He returned with one man over his shoulder and the other bulky one walking and rubbing his head. When he looked up he growled and was about to attack me, when the Captain said "Leave her be." And we all left the tavern. The French man came to as the Captain placed him down outside and turned to go back into the tavern. 
"What are you doing? I thought we were leaving." I objected.
He turned back. "Just go back to the ship, I'll meet you all back there." And he was gone.
We walked slowly, at the pace of the two concussed pirates. 
"You didn't 'ave to 'it us so hard." Complained the French one.
"Apparently I did, giving that you weren't going to let me go." I replied.
He just smiled. "I like you: you're like me." I scoffed, but then blushed at how unladylike a sound I had just made.
"If that's how you decide to make friends, you must have some very tedious company."
"It's also why none of us are his friends, we're much better than him." Interjected the bulky one. "I'm Vic, just so's you know."
"And I'm Leonard, but call me Leo." Added the other.
"Alright, Vic and Leonard. I apologize." I shook their hands in mock respect to which they both chuckled.
"And I am-"
"We know who you are, Dahlia Gresham. We're the ones who kidnapped you, remember?" Interrupted Vic.
"It would be a little careless if we didn't, don't you think?" Added Leonard.
"I suppose you're right." I concluded with a smile. I hoped to be making some allies on board, because if what the Captain had said was right, that someone was trying to kill me, then I would need all the support I could get. So on the two minute walk to the ship, I smiled and laughed with the two men which came surprisingly naturally to me.

We had been on board for about fifteen minutes when the Captain returned. He had something that resembled fabric in his hands and approached me. He then threw it at me and said "Some new clothes for you. You smell dreadful." Before walking off without a second glance.
Instantly I rushed to my tiny room to change into the new clothes.
It included a pair of tight trousers, a dress-like deep red top which was short at the front and long at the back, a black belt with a silver buckle which I tied around my waist over the top and a black leather jacket. I kept the same boots on as before but took this as the opportunity to actually do my hair rather than the quick throwing it up I do in the morning. I did two French plaits and interlocked them in a knot on the back of my head. Though I had no mirror, I felt that this was the first time in a while I had looked semi-decent. I wanted to talk to the Captain about all that had passed in the last few days, so climbed on deck and walked to his office. As I was walking, I noticed the men turning and looking at me mouths open. I raised my chin in pride and almost strutted the rest of the way.