Chapter 9

Pain sang through my head as I opened my eyes. Through the small gaps in the wood of my room, I could tell it was midday as the light was bright. I racked my brains for anything that happened last night. I could remember nothing after a couple of rounds of the game last night. This must be the affliction I have heard talk of which comes after having been drunk. Again I tried to remember something, anything
A timid knock at my door sounded and I pushed it open from where I now sat with my legs over the side of my bed and my left hand holding my head. Coras stood there with a wry smile. "Are you feeling alright?" He asked with a sympathetic grin.
I looked him dead in the eyes and he nodded his understanding. "Yes, it probably wasn't a good idea to have you start drinking with that stuff." 
I sat up straight and smiled a little. Coras' expression then changed to one of mild concern and interest. "Do you," He started and paused. "Do you remember anything from last night?" 
"Not a single thing." I answered.
Coras almost looked relieved for a second then seemed to remember something himself. "You might wish to stay clear of  the Captain." He said cautiously "No one knows how he's going to react yet."
"React?" I inquired impatiently. "React to what? What did I do?"
"You were sick all over him."
I felt my heart pounding at I started breathing very heavily as my eyes widened and my face blanched. "He's going to kill me. Ransom or not." I started panicking and searched the room for any belongings before remembering I didn't have any. 
"What's wrong? What are you doing?" He asked concerned.
"I have to get off this ship."
"Slow down, he won't kill you. He'll definitely punish you and I'm not sure how, but he wouldn't kill you. As I said last night, you're wrong about him."
"I'm not willing to find out how he's going to punish me. I have to get off this ship." I repeated. 
"Stop, or I'll have to send for someone to tie you down. I might like you, but at the end of the day my loyalty lies with Captain Hayes and this crew." 
I calmed a little and nodded. I was to have nobody as a friend aboard. Nobody. 
"I didn't only come to check on you." Coras continued after assuring my distress was over. "I was sent by the Captain to tell you to come to him now." 
I nodded and pushed myself off the bed with my arms, cursing myself for the blood pressure coursing through my brain. Coras stepped to the side and I walked to find the Captain hearing a solitary "Good luck!" From Coras to which I responded with a simple wave of the hand.

As I walked to the Captain, crew members all around smiled and whispered about me, not maliciously however. That is until I was intercepted by the man who beat me up before. He had a wicked grin sprawled on his face and his breath was rancid. "On your way to the gallows?" He chided.
"Move aside, please." I said, stoic.
"Oh, but of course, if that's what the lady should want." He made a mock bow, dramatically casting a single hand before him. I walked past, but he grabbed my wrist. "Just remember," He whispered in my ear. "Allies and friends are not the same thing. I'm glad that you'll finally get what's coming to you, that you'll finally be punished for who and what you are. I'm glad that-"
"Flinners." The Captain snapped from where he stood in the doorway to his quatres. Flinners looked up at the Captain, let go of my arm and I made my way swiftly to whom I reluctantly thought of as my saviour. Flinners kept his eyes on me until he sauntered off, the Captain watched him calmly and collectedly. We both did until he was out of sight, but not out of mind.
The Captain moved slightly, meaning for me to enter the room. I did as was asked of me.
I could not remain silent, embarrassment flowing to my cheeks causing a blush. "Sir, I-"
"Sit." He ordered. I felt myself start shaking slightly and struggled to sit without making my tremor obvious. "You are scared." He stated, but almost questioned.
"Yes, sir." I answered, failing to keep a steady voice.
"Why?" He tilted his head, now sat across from me with a mischievous tone, an animal toying with its food.
"Because-" I stammered "Of last night." I looked down at my hands.
"Last night?" He inquired arching an eyebrow.
"Yes, last night." This was an unbearable torture; he was trying to get me to say what I had done, to embarrass me.
"What of last night?" He picked up a quill and started writing something as though uninterested.
"When I-When I was...sick...on you." I slurred. 
He did not even look up as he asked "Do you remember it?"
"No, but-"
Then he looked up and gave me a small smile, like a nurse to a wounded patient. "Then we shall act as if nothing happened."
"But, I-"
"Would you rather we kept talking about it? That I punished you? That I killed you?" He said progressively louder.
"No." I answered.
"Neither would I. I would never punish a person for a crime they did not remember, I might as well be hurting an innocent."
I tried to suppress a scoff. "Do I amuse you with what I have said?" 
"Forgive me," I answered too cockily "I wouldn't think you would care about killing an innocent or one who's guilty. Just so long as you get what you want." Why? Why was I so ungrateful that he did not punish me that I thought it necessary to now insult him?
I he looked up slightly, pursed his lips as though thinking, smiled a little then looked me dead in the eye. "You're right. I am a Pirate after all." He struck a match and lit a candle. He then picked up an envelope. "Do you know what this is?" I shook my head, my heart racing and tried to squeeze my hands hard enough to stop them shaking. 
"This," He said "Is a letter from your dearest Papa, detailing your return to his safe keeping."
"Oh my gosh." I whispered, a smile broke on my face and I barked a laugh.
"However," he continued. "Mail overseas is rather unreliable." He tilted the corner of the envelope over the candle's open flame.
"NO!" I screamed, but it was too late. The entire envelope was engulfed in flames. The Captain then started walking and I scurried behind him trying to take the letter. He walked out onto the deck, each stride full of confidence and walked to the railing, where he stopped and looked me dead in the eye. It was while he was holding this eye contact that he dropped the envelope over the side of the ship, just as a tear slid down my cheek. Overrun with grief, I had enough confidence to spit. "Coras said I had been wrong about you, that I had misjudged you." The Captain watched me intensely. "Let me tell you, I have never felt more correct with anything I have ever, said, done or thought." I turned and marched away from him, tears streaming down my cheeks.