chapter 3

CHARLOTTE BLARAKO

june 6th, 1963
tulsa oklahoma

where the hell have you been?

my eyes shot open, and i observed my surroundings. i didn't know where i was, but johnny was right next to me on the bed.

"johnny?" i managed to get out. he quickly got up and yelled for the gang, wide eyed.

they quickly filed into the room and inspected me.

"what are y'all so worked up about?" i asked, clearly confused.

"from what it looked like, your parents hit on you and then you jumped out of your window." dallas told me.

"so? that's nothing new, and i'll be just fine. i'm alive ain't i?" i asked, like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"do you think that's okay, charlotte? that it's okay to have your own parents beating you all the time?" soda raised his voice a bit.

"it's not my mom, only my dad. m-my mom didn't know he beat me until she saw it last night, she's usually at work." i whispered. all of their faces softened.

"next time he gets angry just come here, okay? you too johnny. i don't mind." darry smiled apologetically.

i thanked the gang and they all left the room, except for johnny.

"i was real worried about you, char. you didn't look too good." johnny confessed. i looked at him like he just killed someone.

"what?"

"i said i was worried about you," he started.

"nobody's ever told me that before." i made eye contact with him and he blushed slightly.

"i seem to be the first to tell you a lot of things." he shrugged. i just laughed and laid back.

before, i was very much against moving to tulsa. if you know me, you know i hate anything change. i knew i was gonna miss kimmie, and i was scared to leave the place that had the only traces of my grandma. and home was at my grandmas old house. but now, i didn't know where home was gonna he. would home be a person, or would my dad stop drinking and it would be my house? i didn't know. maybe johnny would be my new kimmie, but he'll probably get sick of me sooner or later and leave. they all did. kimmie is the only person that understands me, and could handle me.

after a bit of thinking i pulled out my sketchbook and continued my drawing of johnny. every time i turned to observe his features, he was smiling at me. and each time, i smiled back.

"are you almost done?" he questioned innocently. i nodded and smiled at him, continuing my work.

JOHNNY CADE

charlotte was finishing the drawing of me and little did she know, i was watching the whole time. i found it adorable how she furrowed her eyebrows every time she messed up or when she gets confused. i really wanted to be good friends with her, but she'll probably run off eventually. once she finds out i'm not as tuff as i seem to be.

"i'm done johnny!" she sang. i just laughed and shook my head, shifting on the bed so i could see the picture. my jaw dropped a bit and i didn't know what to say.

"what, is it bad?" her smile dropped. i quickly shook my head and grabbed the drawing from her.

"no, it's amazing char. that's the best i've ever seen." i said in awe. she blushed a bit and thanked me.

"i think i'm gonna go home, i don't want to overstay my welcome." she went to get up but i immediately stopped her.

"you can't get up, you're hurt. and your dad might hurt you if you go back!" i begged her to stay. she agreed to stay for one night, but that was it. i guess we would see how this was gonna turn out.

me and charlotte talked for hours and hours on end, and by this point i feel like i've known her my whole life. besides pony, she was my best friend and i had just met her.

we sat in silence for a bit before i eventually heard soft breathing from beside me. i looked over and found her asleep. she sure was cute when she was sleeping. i mean, she is when she's awake too.

i decided i didn't want to leave her here alone so i just took off my jacket and my converse and laid down next to her, drifting off into a deep sleep.