To Play the Donor Card

Every outcome imaginable poured into my mind. I already knew what Helix was like when he played being angry, but not when he was actually angry. I wouldn't punish my own friend if they wandered off. Only if I knew about our "friendship" that he claimed we had. I didn't believe him for a second even if I wanted to. I saw the sign of the mens' restroom and took a deep breath. No sign of him stood in the way of me when I stepped inside and ran into one of the empty stalls. To remember what could happen in one of those situations, in other words, die or make up with a bully, I panicked. Thinking to myself wasn't an option, neither. I looked underneath the stall divider and searched out anyone who looked like him. Shoes weren't much to go off of.

On the opposite end of the bathroom, someone walked out of their stall. Water trickled from the faucet into the sink. I waited for a voice.

"Hey, Xander, you see Castor anywhere?" Helix's voice grilled in rising fury. "Didn't even say where he was going!"

Another faucet turned on with a second voice, "I only walked by him."

"He's not hiding from me, is he?"

"I didn't think you cared about him."

"I just wanted to be his friend; he didn't have any, before."

The faucet turned off.

"He has plenty of friends thanks to me," Xander snickered. "He doesn't know how lucky he is to start over as Peirson."

"What did you ever do?"

Eavesdropping wasn't the answer. Now unlocked, I emerged from the stall. Helix and Xander's eyes widened and the two stared at me through the mirror. Helix jammed into his pockets to pull out his phone. He plunged his fingers into the phone and scrolled down his messages.

"Why the hell are you hiding from me?" Helix stormed over to me.

"It wasn't that long, was it?" I tried softening his demeanor by keeping my voice hushed.

"Of course! It's only been one hour!"

"I didn't—"

He slammed his hand into the stall. Our two height's diverged. I was caged beneath his dominance. I couldn't hide how unphased I actually was. He surely hated me, but I didn't expect anything less. His eyes kept me believing, however, that I could expect something else. His pupils dilated and darted around in mine.

"It's just one time," I whispered. "So be angry and see if I care."

"You don't care about anything... " his frenetic breathing subdued. "Something's always got to have you pissed at me!"

"And the candle? And the costumes? You asked me to hang out with you!"

His hands turned to fists, but it didn't show in his voice. "You can't light a candle without a match, Starboy. Now let's get outta here before night falls."

"Just make up your mind!"

"You didn't even care enough to keep yours!"

"I heard you the first time you said it!" I shoved him out the way to get to the door.

I didn't hear Xander's voice at all. Guess he wasn't interested in stepping in. He continued his observation through the mirror. My florid face couldn't be hidden without sinking into the floor and praying the argument wasn't real. I kicked the cart into the back of Helix's leg before he got out of the department before I did. Below my costume laid a black robe adorned in tears paired with a headband with devil horns. The entire trip out the mall, I imagined how nice Helix would look in it. It cursed me.