Chapter 5

“What” Ian asked not sure if he heard her right. Did she just say what he thinks she just said?

Layla took a deep breath and said it again with a bit more confidence as she waited on Ian’s reaction. For awhile he just starred at her before a wide smile spread across his face. Then he grabbed Layla into his arms and held her tight. Layla could feel how happy he was through the mate link and it wasn’t at all what she was expecting. She was shocked and became rigid in his arms, she was confused.

Ian was both relieved and excited that nothing was wrong with his mate and that he was finally going to have an heir. He secretly always wanted a baby but he knew Layla was younger and wasn’t ready for that step and he didn’t want to pressure her into anything. He began to imagine how he would teach his son how to manage the Alpha position and playing football with him.

But what he looked forward to was seeing his beautiful mate holding their child in her arms and the adoration in her eyes as she looked at their baby. They would finally be starting a family and he couldn’t hold back his excitement as he held her tight. He was too ecstatic to notice that his mate was still in his arms with emotions running through her.

She was sure it probably had something to do with the pregnancy, but she just felt like her emotions were everywhere, so unstable. She wanted to yell, cry, and rejoice all at the same time, it was so confusing.

“Wait you’re actually happy? Why? I didn’t think this would be what you wanted?” Layla said as her voice wavered at the end. She thought Ian was as reluctant to be a parent as much as her. So why was he so happy?

Ian quickly pulled back and grabbed her arms as he came close to her face starring her straight in the eyes. “Layla, listen… I know I told you I wanted to wait, but the truth is I wanted to have a baby with you from the moment I met you. Being able to have you at my side is the most life fulfilling thing I ever dreamed of, but starting a family with you....Now that is just the cherry on top of the cake. It will make the pack happy, it will make my parents happy, and I know it will make you happy. Trust me as soon as you look into those eyes you will think you were crazy for even second guessing yourself.”

His words stirred something inside of Layla. She could have a family; make it so her child had a better childhood than she did. Although she did have a great childhood until she turned 16 and the Alpha took an interest in her. She shook the horrible thoughts away before she broke down again. She did want kids but she was still scarred, she didn’t think she could do it. A baby was a lot of responsibility and she didn’t know the first thing about babies.

“But I’m scared Ian, I can’t do it, I’m so scared,” She cried out.

Ian wiped her tears away with his thumb; it pained him to see Layla in so much pain. He hated that he couldn’t take her fear away and make her feel better but that didn’t mean he wouldn’t try.

“What are you so scared of?”

“Everything, I am still too young and growing up myself. What if I am not a good mother, Ian I don’t even know how to take care of a baby? And oh my god! How am I going to survive labor? I don’t want to go through that pain, it scares me from all the stories I heard from the pack members. They said it felt like their body was being ripped apart!” Layla yelled shivering from even imagining it.

Ian looked at his scared mate and felt horrible for being so selfish. It was so easy for him to request a child because he wasn’t the one having to go through the pain. He wished there was a way for him to take the pain away, unfortunately there was nothing he could do. Instead he was going to try to soothe his mate the best he could.

“First of all I have no doubt in my mind that you are going to be a great mother. I have seen the way you act with the pack member’s children and their mothers look at you with adoration. I am not the only one who thinks that. Layla all those kids love you because you’re kind, gentle, and even reprimand the children when they are in the wrong.