Chapter 1

A/N: Yes I will be continuing this story! I started this story a while ago before wattpad deleted my account but yes I will be continuing it. The story starts out when Demi and Joe are children and if you don't see a POV in bold it will be Joe's POV since this story is mostly about him telling the story of his best friend getting abducted. There also may be a lot of time skipping so the story can progress. If you already read this story please leave your votes and comments as I would like to get some of it back! If you haven't read this story yet, I hope you enjoy it!! Happy reading!

"Fatty. You should stop eating." I heard as I was on the playground. I looked and saw a group of girls picking on anothr girl. Today was my first day of school and my family and I just moved here so we didn't know anyone in the area. I got up from where I was on the playground and went to the group of girls. I didn't like seeing other people getting picked on even if I didn't know them.

"Hey leave her alone. Don't you know it's not nice to call people names and to pick on them? She hasn't done anything to you." I stood in front of the girl being picked on. I glanced beside me and saw her looking down. The group of girls scoffed.

"Whatever. She needs a friend to stick up for her anyways since she has none." The group of girls laughed before walking away. I turned my attention back to the girl.

"Thanks." She softly mumbled still looking down.

"It's no problem. I always stick up for people who are being picked on." I put my hand out for her to shake.

"I'm Joe by the way. I just moved here." She slightly looked up and moved a strand of hair from her face before she lightly shook my hand.

"I know I'm in your class and I heard when the teacher said that. I'm Demi." She introduced herself. I didn't notice that she was in my class. She probably sat in the back rows.

"Do those girls always pick on you?" I blurted out. I hope that didn't come off as rude. My mommy says I have to be more polite when I address questions and to think about them more clearly. Demi looked down and she seemed sad again.

"Um well sometimes." She looked down at her feet shuffling them constantly.

"Well if they ever pick on my friend again we're gonna have a problem." She looked up when those words came out of my mouth.

"We're friends?" She asked almost as if she were shocked that I would be her friend.

"Yeah. Let's be best friends." She smiled slowly when I said that. It was the first time I saw her smile and she looked cute when she smiled. Just then the bell rang and recess was over. We started walking back to our class.

When class was over, I tried to catch up with Demi as she started walking towards the front of the school. When I called her name she looked over at me first with a scared expression then a slightly relieved one.

"Where are you walking to?" I asked her as she resumed walking again. I had to walk home as well even though I didn't live too far away from it. My mommy showed me the walking path I would walk on everyday so I knew where I was going.

"I'm walking home." She stated. She seemed to be walking the same way I was. When we stopped at the corner of street I asked where she lived. Apparently she was only a few houses down from me.

"We should walk to school again tomorrow. I need a new walking friend and since we're best friends now maybe we could." I put my hands in my pockets.

"Okay sounds good to me." She spoke out softly as she put her hands on the straps of her backpack. I digged in my shorts pocket and found two sticks of gum. I offered one to her and she gladly took it. We got into the woods part of our walk when I noticed she stopped and took her back pack off and went off the walking path and went into the woods. At first I got worried because my mommy told me I had to come straight home after school.