6. lost purity

The sun was setting. The sky was a mixture of orange, purple, pink and blues, yet there wasn't a cloud in sight. A small breeze lightly shifts the leafs off the trees. In this graveyard, two men look deep into each others eyes. One is standing tall with a revolver in his right hand, and asks the other to say a final prayer.

This man was sitting on his knees with hands tied behind his back. He was begging for dear life, screaming anything that would hopefully halt his execution. In that cold, lifeless graveyard, nothing would save him.

They both knew it.

Two bullets to the head end his short life. His blood would smear the grave behind him. It was quiet once again, no crying, pleading or screaming. Just the soft shifts of the leafs. Vanno Clemente says a quick prayer to the man he had just shot execution style. What is done, is DONE. No remorse for a family traitor.

Vanno slowly turns his body to walk away, and the scene he assumed was empty was not. There stood Avilio, who in the instant Vanno turns around, shoots him in the abdomen. The darkest shade of red quickly comes out of his body and stains his white suit. Covering the wound cannot save him now, so another shot is aimed towards his chest.

Now two bodies lay in the graveyard. The executed and the executioner.

-

It had been a week since the death of Vanno Clemente and Nero was not the same man. His dark ocean eyes seemed lifeless. He would drift in and out of his thoughts - memories of Vanno came and left.

As (y/n) sat in the back seat of a vintage black Chrysler, everything Nero was feeling lingered in the air. The death of an old friend. Was it sorrow? Guilt? Regret? What bothered Nero to the point where he silently looked out the window for hours?
Everyone knew that in this family, death is unavoidable.

(y/n) looks at the rear view mirror and sees Avilio's eyes focused on the road. His golden eyes were dull, no light, no shine. Underneath his eyes were dark circles from the sleepness nights he has spent driving. Despite Nero offering to take turns driving, Avilio kept on refusing.

"What are you staring at?"

A small chuckle leaves her lips as she averts her attention back to the window. "You're a terrible driver, yet you don't allow us to get behind the wheel. At least try going a little faster."

"I'll hit something again."

"You'll hit anything on the road even at this speed," (y/n) looks back at Avilio through the rear-view. "Instead of avoiding the potholes, you drive into them."

"..."

Nero joins the conversation and complains about Avilio's speed as well. To liven the atmosphere, Nero hits the gas pedal and everyone inside slams against their seats. Avilio, inexperienced behind the wheel, tries to keep the vehicle from steering off the road while Nero laughs in delight and enjoyment.

At a near by diner, the three sit near a counter eating their breakfast. On each plate stood a stack of pancakes and next to it, a cup of black coffee. (y/n) brought the cup to her lips and takes a small sip. It was disgustingly bitter and she could tell the coffee pot had gone untouched for a couple hours, yet she continues drinking.

While Nero initiates small talk with the waitress, (y/n) looks over at Avilio who reaches for the bottle of maple syrup. He starts pouring...and pouring... and pouring...

"If you wanted to drink the syrup straight up you could have told the waitress." She felt the life drain out of her while watching Avilio bathe his pancakes in syrup.

Looking down at her plate, she manages to successfully take a few bites off her stack. She orders another cup of coffee and notices Avilio had finished his stack and was now waiting for Nero to finish eating.

She slides her plate over to Avilio, "I'm not hungry." He stares at her plate as if something were wrong. In that moment, she reaches toward the maple syrup and pours a good portion of the bottle onto the stack. It's only then, that Avilio accepts the offer.

"Watching you two seems like you've been friends for a while." Nero wipes his mouth with a napkin and starts pulling out bills from his leather wallet.

Avilio takes a final bite from the plate in one gulp, "I don't see myself associating with someone of her nature."

"That stung a little," she says in a jokingly pout, "I'm not giving you shit next time."

The three walk towards the Chrysler with Avilio behind the wheel again. This time, everyone puts their seatbelt on. With the recommendation of the waitress, they head to a cheap automobile motel to spend the night.

...Avilio...
once a victim,
and now an executioner.

-
just saying i love and appreciate the people who still read this!! OG's